Boundary conditions - unique solution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with the periodic boundary condition and determining the constants A and B using two arbitrary values for x. The question is raised about the uniqueness of the solution and whether it is always specified by the periodic boundary condition. The speaker also clarifies that there is no requirement for f(x) to be real.
aaaa202
I recently solved a differential equation with the solution:

f(x) = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx)

with the periodic boundary condition f(x+L)=f(x). This condition leads to:

Aexp(ikx)exp(ikL) + Bexp(-ikx)exp(-ikL) = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx) (1)

Now the way I figured out the constants A and B was that I said, that (1) must be true in particular for x=0 and x=π/2k which gave some equations to solve for A and B.

But something appears weird to me with this method of using two arbitrary values for x in (1) to determine A and B. Namely how do I know that I should also get this value for A and B if I use two different values of x? I do realize you could maybe show this by a calculation letting x1 and x2 be arbitrary but from a bigger perspective: Is it always true that the solution of a differential equation is uniquely specified by a periodic boundary condition? Maybe I'm just confused about something simple - it's late at night..

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you require f(x) to be real, or are you also interested in cases where f(x) is complex?

Chet

I have no requirement on f being real.

Actually, your periodicity requirement puts a restriction on k, not A and B: k = 2nπ/L, where n is any integer.

Chet

I can understand your confusion and concerns about using two arbitrary values to determine the constants A and B in the solution of a differential equation with a periodic boundary condition. However, the fact that the solution (1) satisfies the given boundary condition for any value of x is a result of the uniqueness of the solution.

In mathematics, a unique solution refers to a solution that is the only possible outcome of a given set of conditions. In the case of a differential equation with a periodic boundary condition, the solution (1) is the only possible solution that satisfies the given condition. This is known as the uniqueness theorem for differential equations.

To understand this concept better, let's consider a simpler example. Suppose we have the equation x + y = 5 with the boundary condition y = 2. The unique solution to this equation is x = 3, which is the only possible value that satisfies both the equation and the boundary condition. Similarly, in your case, the solution (1) is the only possible solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the periodic boundary condition.

In general, the uniqueness of a solution depends on the boundary conditions and the properties of the differential equation. In some cases, the solution may not be unique, and in those cases, additional information or conditions may be needed to determine the constants.

In conclusion, the solution of a differential equation with a periodic boundary condition is uniquely specified, and using two arbitrary values to determine the constants is a valid approach. However, it is always important to check the properties and assumptions of the differential equation to ensure the uniqueness of the solution. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your confusion.

1. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are a set of rules or constraints that are applied to a mathematical problem or physical system. They define the limits and behavior of the system at its boundaries, and are used to determine a unique solution.

2. Why are boundary conditions important?

Boundary conditions are important because they help to define and solve a problem or system. Without them, a problem may have multiple solutions or no solution at all. They also reflect the physical laws and constraints that apply to the system.

3. What does it mean to have a unique solution with boundary conditions?

A unique solution means that there is only one possible solution that satisfies all of the given boundary conditions. This solution is considered to be the most accurate and reliable representation of the system.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of a problem?

Boundary conditions can significantly impact the solution of a problem. They can determine the stability, accuracy, and uniqueness of the solution. In some cases, changing the boundary conditions can also lead to a completely different solution.

5. Can boundary conditions be violated?

Yes, boundary conditions can be violated, but this often leads to an invalid or incorrect solution. It is important to carefully consider and accurately define the boundary conditions in order to obtain a reliable and accurate solution to a problem.