What is the boundary of the rational numbers?

• Thread starter alexfloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boundary
In summary, the boundary of the rational numbers is the set of all real numbers, both rational and irrational.
alexfloo
I've read in several places that the boundary of the rational numbers is the empty set. I feel I must be misinterpreting the definition of a boundary, because this doesn't seem right to me.

My understanding of the boundary of a set S is that it is the set of all elements which can be approached from both the inside and the outside. That is, the set of all r such that r is the limit of a sequence in S and also the limit of a sequence outside of S.

We know of course that every real number is the limit of a sequence of rational numbers. We know also that every real number r is the limit of the constant sequence (r). So shouldn't the boundary of the rationals be the set of all irrational numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you say is correct up to the last sentence:
We know of course that every real number is the limit of a sequence of rational numbers. We know also that every real number r is the limit of the constant sequence (r).
Therefore the boundary of the rational numbers, as a set of real numbers with the usual topology, is the set of all real numbers, both rational and irrational.

The boundary of the rational numbers, as a subset of the rational numbers with the usual topology, is empty. Perhaps that is what you saw? In any topology, the entire space has empty boundary.

Okay, I think that makes perfect sense, but just to clarify:

The discrepancy is that the the rationals can have multiple algebraic structures, and therefore multiple boundaries, depending on whether we consider them in isolation, or as a subset of the reals. (Or, presumably, as a subset of some other completion that I know less about, like the p-adic numbers).

Yes, many of the topological properties of sets depend upon whether the set is a subset of some larger topology. Those that do not (compactness for example) are called "intrinsic".

But I don't know if it would make sense to talk about, e.g., the boundary of the rationals a stand-alone space; I assume you always talk about the boundary of a subset A embedded in a space X; usually A is a subspace of X, I think.

alexfloo said:
I've read in several places that the boundary of the rational numbers is the empty set. I feel I must be misinterpreting the definition of a boundary, because this doesn't seem right to me.

My understanding of the boundary of a set S is that it is the set of all elements which can be approached from both the inside and the outside. That is, the set of all r such that r is the limit of a sequence in S and also the limit of a sequence outside of S.

HallsofIvy already pointed out that the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] considered as a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. I just wanted to expand on that a little.

If [itex]X[/itex] is a topological space and [itex]A \subset X[/itex], the boundary of [itex]A[/itex] is the set of points with this property: each neighborhood of the point intersects both [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]X\setminus{A}[/itex].

[itex][X\setminus{A}[/itex] is the set difference: the set of elements of [itex]X[/itex] that are not elements of [itex]A][/itex].

This definition of boundary is equivalent to the one you gave. (Needs proof, of course).

Now we can see that if [itex]A = X[/itex] then [itex]X\setminus{A}[/itex] is empty, so there can't be any elements in the boundary. That's why the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] in itself is empty.

The more interesting case is when [itex]A[/itex] is a proper subset of [itex]X[/itex]; for example [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]. If [itex]x[/itex] is a rational number, then any neighborhood about [itex]x[/itex] contains both rationals and irrationals. So all of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is in the boundary. But if [itex]x[/itex] is an irrational number, it also has the property that each of its neighborhoods contain both rationals an irrationals. So the irrationals are in the boundary too.

So, the boundary of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is all of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Hope this helps.

What is the "boundary of the rationals"?

The boundary of the rationals refers to the set of points that lie between the rational numbers and the irrational numbers on the real number line. It is the dividing line between the two sets of numbers.

How is the boundary of the rationals defined?

The boundary of the rationals is defined as the set of points that satisfy the following condition: for any positive number ε, there exist both a rational number and an irrational number within ε distance from the point. In other words, every neighborhood of a boundary point contains both rational and irrational numbers.

Is the boundary of the rationals a closed set?

Yes, the boundary of the rationals is a closed set. This means that it contains all of its boundary points and does not have any limit points outside of the set.

Can the boundary of the rationals be empty?

No, the boundary of the rationals cannot be empty. This is because every point on the real number line has both rational and irrational numbers within any given distance from it, and thus there will always be points that satisfy the definition of a boundary point.

How is the boundary of the rationals related to the Cantor set?

The boundary of the rationals and the Cantor set are closely related, as the Cantor set consists of all points on the real number line that can be obtained by removing the middle third of an interval repeatedly. This process results in a set that is both closed and perfect, meaning it has no isolated points and every point is a limit point. Since the boundary of the rationals is a closed set and contains all of its limit points, it can be thought of as a subset of the Cantor set.