1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded complex valued function

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. f(z) is a function that is analytic on all of the complex plane, and mod(f)<=mod(z). Prove that f=cz.
    2. f(z) is analytic on all of the complex plane, and mod(f)<= sqrt(mod(z)). Prove that f is constant

2. Relevant equations
    Liouvilles thm: the only bounded entire functions are constant
    Maximum modulus thm: If g is analytic on a domain D and achieves a maximum modulus on the interior of D, then g is constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I think I have this one. So, |f(z)/z|<=1, and analytic enerywhere except at z=0. If z=0 is an essential singularity or a pole, f(z)/z is not bounded near z, which is a contradiction. Thus, z=0 is a removable singularity or f(z)/z. So, There is an entire function h(z) where h(z)=f(z)/z when z is not 0, and h(z)=c when z=0 for some value c. Then, |h(z)| is bounded by max(1,c), and is constant. Then, f(z)/z=c for all z not equal to zero, so that f=cz. At zero, f(z)=0 by continuity because f is analytic everywhere on C. thus, f(z)=cz on the complex plane.
    2. I don't know where to begin here. I would like to show that f is bounded, and then use Liouville's thm, but I don't know if that's the way to go.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start from |f(z)^2/z|<=1.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    In case of 2), you can use that the inequality implies that f(0) = 0. Then the fact that f is analytic and thus complex differentiable at zero implies that the limit of f(z)/z for z to zero must exist as it is the derivative of f at z = 0. Then you can complete the proof by splitting the complex plane in some small neighborhood of zero and the rest of the complex plane and considering the behavior of f(z)/z.

You will be led to a stronger conclusion than asked in the problem: f(z) is actually zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook