Bounded derivative and uniform continuity

In summary, the argument shows that $f$ is uniformly continuous on $[0,\infty)$ if and only if there exists a constant $\delta>0$ such that for all $s,t\in [0,a]$ and $|s-t|<\delta$: $|f(s)-f(t)|<\varepsilon+\frac12\varepsilon<\varepsilon$.
Kudasai
Let $f:[0,\infty)\to\mathbb R$ be a differentiable function such that for all $a>0$ exists a constant $M_a$ such that $|f'(t)|\le M_a$ for all $t\in[0,a]$ and $f(t)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{}0.$ Show that $f$ is uniformly continuous.

Basically, I need to prove that $f$ is uniformly continuous for all $t\ge0,$ however, I know that $f$ is uniformly continuous for $t\in[0,a]$ since $f$ is bounded there, but I don't know how to use the fact of the limit to prove uniform continuity for all $t\ge0.$

Physics news on Phys.org
Kudasai said:
Let $f:[0,\infty)\to\mathbb R$ be a differentiable function such that for all $a>0$ exists a constant $M_a$ such that $|f'(t)|\le M_a$ for all $t\in[0,a]$ and $f(t)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{}0.$ Show that $f$ is uniformly continuous.

Basically, I need to prove that $f$ is uniformly continuous for all $t\ge0,$ however, I know that $f$ is uniformly continuous for $t\in[0,a]$ since $f$ is bounded there, but I don't know how to use the fact of the limit to prove uniform continuity for all $t\ge0.$
Let $\varepsilon>0$. The fact that $f(t)\to0$ as $t\to\infty$ tells you that there exists $a$ such that $|f(t)| < \frac12\varepsilon$ for all $t>a$. The function $f$ is uniformly continuous on $[0,a]$ because its derivative is bounded there. Therefore there exists $\delta>0$ such that if $s,t\in [0,a]$ and $|s-t|<\delta$ then $|f(s)-f(t)| < \varepsilon.$ On the other hand, if $s,t>a$ then $|f(s) - f(t)| \leqslant |f(s)| + |f(t)| <\frac12\varepsilon + \frac12\varepsilon <\varepsilon$.

Putting those results together, you see that $|s-t|<\delta$ implies $|f(s) - f(t)| < \varepsilon$, regardless of whether $s$ and $t$ are less than $a$ or greater than $a$. Since that implication holds for all $\varepsilon>0$, it follows that $f$ is uniformly continuous on $[0,\infty)$.

You may have spotted that there is a gap in that argument, in that I have not dealt with the possibility that one of $s,t$ is less than $a$ and the other one is greater than $a$. I will leave you to think about how to deal with that case.

Related to Bounded derivative and uniform continuity

1. What is a bounded derivative?

A bounded derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is said to be bounded if there exists a finite number that acts as an upper bound for the absolute value of the derivative of the function at every point in its domain.

2. How is a bounded derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative only measures the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while a bounded derivative takes into account the entire domain of the function and ensures that the rate of change is not too large at any point. In other words, a bounded derivative is a more conservative measure of the function's rate of change.

3. What does uniform continuity mean?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function where the rate of change of the function remains consistent across its entire domain. This means that for any given value of epsilon, there exists a delta that ensures that the difference between the function's outputs at two points is always less than epsilon, as long as the distance between those two points is less than delta.

4. How is uniform continuity related to a bounded derivative?

Uniform continuity is closely related to a bounded derivative because a function with a bounded derivative is also uniformly continuous. This is because a bounded derivative ensures that the function's rate of change does not vary too much across its entire domain, making it more likely to have consistent rates of change and thus be uniformly continuous.

5. Why are bounded derivative and uniform continuity important in calculus?

Bounded derivative and uniform continuity are important concepts in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of functions and how they change over their domain. They also allow us to make predictions and solve problems involving rates of change in a more accurate and precise manner.