Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bow Tie Antenna Construction Question

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to build a high gain TV antenna. I'm looking to achieve a 75 mile minimum range under most weather conditions. I do have a signal amp board I striped from an OK antenna, that I plan to use as well. I'm trying to specialize the antenna for my viewing market, UHF channels 17-38 (489.25 MHz to 615.25 MHz).

Looking at guides on the internet, most Bow-Tie antennas are 4 or 8 segments (why, is a question in it's self). My first question is, does each segment need to be the same length. The UHF stations in my area, if I were building a half-wave dipole antenna, would indicate that I use segments between 9" and 12" (half-wave lengths, I know to use only quarter lengths on each side). The Bow-Tie's I've seen are all the same length, usually about 8" in length.

Second question, if I go half-wave dipole style. I was going to use segments lengths that match the channel frequencies in my area... I'm using 8 gauge copper wire that I plan on welding to a 3/4" copper pipe with a reflective panel behind it. On this type of design is there any rule for spacing the segments out along the copper piping.

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice before starting. Also, are there in pitfalls that I might run into that could compromise the design?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2
    The spacing on the dipole segments is the question I'm most interested in... If anyone happens to know, or can point me in the right direction. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. Sep 30, 2015 #3
    nvm, I think I got this figured out. I'll post any positive results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook