What is this antenna structure? (vertical bow tie)

In summary: When digital TV arrived I designed antennas optimised for each different transmit site in this corner of the state, they are manufactured locally and installed by antenna installers based on the transmit site name. The engineering can be optimised because there is no direct sale to a customer. Because I can optimise for a specific site's band, gain, beamwidth, and F/B ratio, others who buy fancy expensive antennas from a catalogue, cannot get better reception.
berkeman
Mentor
I saw this antenna on a residential rooftop yesterday (in the US). I'm guessing it is a over-the-air Digital TV antenna, but I don't recognize the vertical bow tie structure. The antenna is about half a meter tall. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Strange Antenna Closeup.jpg
    Strange Antenna Closeup.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 955
Engineering news on Phys.org
Very odd. I'd would just have to go and ask the residents of the home.

dlgoff said:
Very odd. I'd would just have to go and ask the residents of the home.

LOL. I was wearing my EMT uniform at the time (about 7AM on a Sunday morning). Probably would have scared the poor residents if I'd have knocked at the door! :smile:

Looks like a ClearStream 4 Antenna for Free Over-The-Air Digital and HD Programming.
It is operated with the reflector screen. The horizontal dipole is something extra.

Baluncore said:
Looks like a ClearStream 4 Antenna for Free Over-The-Air Digital and HD Programming.
It is operated with the reflector screen. The horizontal dipole is something extra.

Thanks! At least it looks like half of the ClearStream 4...

https://all-cryptothrift1.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DSC_0572-300x200.jpg [Broken]
https://all-cryptothrift1.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DSC_0572-300x200.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the makers claim better performance in the VHF band than a traditional bowtie-plus-reflector design such as the DB2, enough to market it as a UHF+VHF combo antenna rather than as a UHF antenna that has some ability to receive VHF.

It came out a few years ago, around the time of the US analog-to-digital TV transition.

A fishing lure must be designed for two quite different functions. Firstly, most importantly to be commercial, it must catch a fisherman, then secondly, and of little importance is to catch fish.

Like a fishing lure, the thing that is really important in consumer antenna design is style and looks. It is most unlikely that the antenna performs better, but to be commercial it must look new and different.

It is probably just an old style simple antenna underneath.
Don't get distracted by their marketing hype and the unusual plastic style.

Baluncore said:
A fishing lure must be designed for two quite different functions. Firstly, most importantly to be commercial, it must catch a fisherman

Well it sure worked on me! :biggrin:

jtbell said:
I think the makers claim better performance in the VHF band than a traditional bowtie-plus-reflector design such as the DB2, enough to market it as a UHF+VHF combo antenna rather than as a UHF antenna that has some ability to receive VHF.

It came out a few years ago, around the time of the US analog-to-digital TV transition.

Baluncore said:
A fishing lure must be designed for two quite different functions. Firstly, most importantly to be commercial, it must catch a fisherman, then secondly, and of little importance is to catch fish.

Like a fishing lure, the thing that is really important in consumer antenna design is style and looks. It is most unlikely that the antenna performs better, but to be commercial it must look new and different.

It is probably just an old style simple antenna underneath.
Don't get distracted by their marketing hype and the unusual plastic style.
I feel sorry for all the folks that trashed their old UHF-VHF "analog" antennas. I'm receiving 45 digital channels with an antenna like this.
0007900031382_500X500.jpg

from http://www.walmart.com

I remember when colour TV arrived, gone was the brown cardboard box for the new antenna, the antenna came in a white box with bright red, green and blue coloured printing. Looking at the antenna, it had brightly coloured insulator blocks, no more of that UV stable black stuff. Apart from that, absolutely nothing changed.

When digital TV arrived I designed antennas optimised for each different transmit site in this corner of the state, they are manufactured locally and installed by antenna installers based on the transmit site name. The engineering can be optimised because there is no direct sale to a customer. Because I can optimise for a specific site's band, gain, beamwidth, and F/B ratio, others who buy fancy expensive antennas from a catalogue, cannot get better reception.

The internet is a sewer that flows into your office. TV is a sewer that flows into your lounge room.
Whichever way you look at it, you need a significantly better crap detector to handle the bigger pipe.

Likes 1 person
:rofl:

1. What is a vertical bow tie antenna structure?

A vertical bow tie antenna structure is a type of antenna that consists of two vertical wires, shaped like a bow tie, connected to a central feed point. It is commonly used for radio and television broadcasting.

2. How does a vertical bow tie antenna work?

The vertical bow tie antenna works by emitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. The two vertical wires act as the antenna elements, while the central feed point connects to the transmitter or receiver. As the electrical current flows through the antenna, it creates an electromagnetic field that radiates out into space.

3. What are the advantages of using a vertical bow tie antenna?

One advantage of using a vertical bow tie antenna is its omnidirectional radiation pattern, meaning it can transmit and receive signals in all directions. It also has a high bandwidth, which allows for the transmission of a wide range of frequencies. Additionally, it is easy to construct and maintain, making it a cost-effective option for broadcasting.

4. What are the limitations of a vertical bow tie antenna?

A major limitation of a vertical bow tie antenna is its relatively low gain, meaning it does not have a strong signal strength. This can be a disadvantage when trying to transmit over long distances. It also has a narrow beamwidth, making it more susceptible to interference from other nearby antennas.

5. What types of applications are vertical bow tie antennas commonly used for?

Vertical bow tie antennas are commonly used for radio and television broadcasting, as well as in radar systems and wireless communication devices. They are also used in amateur radio and ham radio operations, as well as in scientific research and exploration, such as in radio astronomy.