Box lifted off the ground by a tension force at a 32 degree angle

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem involving finding the magnitude of a force (F) when a block loses contact with the floor. The equations used involve net force, acceleration, tension force, and the y-component of the force. The final answer is 45N.
isukatphysics69
PHYSICSROPEBOX.PNG
1. Homework Statement

The magnitude of the force F is slowly increased. The direction of the force remains the same. What is the magnitude of the force F at the moment the block looses contact with the floor?

Homework Equations

fnet=m*a[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

fnety = tensionforcesin(32)-mg+fnormal
since box being lifted off ground fnormal = 0
since instantaneous acceleration is still 0 so 0=tensionforcesin(32)-24.01+0
24.01/sin32 = tensionforceydirection
tensionforceydirection = 45.31
plug this force into x component
fnetx = 45.31cos(32)
fnetx = 38.42
force mag = sqrt((38.42)^2+(45.31)^2))

incorrect answer
not sure what i am doing wrong here?

Attachments

• PHYSICSROPEBOX.PNG
    PHYSICSROPEBOX.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 753
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
0=tensionforcesin(32)-24.01+0
24.01/sin32 = tensionforceydirection
What happened here? In one equation you have the tension force (why don't you call it T or something more tangible?) and in the other its y-component.

OK I JUST THOUGHT DEEPLY ABOUT IT AND REALIZED WHAT I DID WRONG AND GOT THE CORRECT ANSWER 45N

Orodruin said:
What happened here? In one equation you have the tension force (why don't you call it T or something more tangible?) and in the other its y-component.
hi yes i realized what i was doing wrong the answer is 45N

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is the tension force calculated?

The tension force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity, and then dividing by the sine of the angle at which the force is acting.

3. What does a 32 degree angle mean in this scenario?

The 32 degree angle refers to the angle at which the tension force is acting on the box. It is measured from the horizontal plane.

4. What is the significance of lifting a box off the ground with a tension force at a 32 degree angle?

This scenario demonstrates the use of vector components and the relationship between tension force and the angle at which it is acting. It also shows how an object can be lifted off the ground without directly applying a vertical force.

5. Can the tension force be greater than the weight of the box?

Yes, the tension force can be greater than the weight of the box as long as the angle at which it is acting is less than 90 degrees. This is due to the vector components of the tension force, where some of the force is directed upwards to lift the box.