1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Box moving on a decelerating truck?

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A truck with a steel bed carries a wooden box, where μs = 2μk. The box of mass m is in the middle of the bed of length l. If the truck is moving forward with velocity vo but is slowing down, determine the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin of the truck in terms of the variables given.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma, Fk = μkmg

3. The attempt at a solution

So my teacher said that the acceleration of the box relative to the truck is aB = μkg, while the acceleration of the truck relative to the ground is aT = -μkg. I'm having trouble understanding how my teacher got this... I do know that the acceleration of the block relative to the ground is a = μg, but I don't know how my teacher got the acceleration of the block relative to the truck. Can anyone help clarify my teacher's reasoning?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!

In case you guys want to look at my teacher's actual solution, here it is. My question is about part b): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12682457/m%20%26%20f%20%232%20copy.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2
    You wrote,

"...determine the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin..."

Shouldn't that be the minimum distance the truck can take to stop? If we decelerate slowly the box won't move relative to the truck.

Edit, ignore the above question, it now makes sense to me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Does this look right?

Attached Files:

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    @Spinnor: Yes, that does look correct to me! :) Except the question is looking for the maximum distance the truck travels :O

I discussed this again with my teacher, and apparently, there might be a mistake in my teacher's work. But yes, thank you for your solution! It gave me an idea of what the correct solution should look like...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook