Fundamental Problems With Exam Question: Moving Truck & Acceleration

In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of a crate relative to the truck, which is impossible to determine. However, the acceleration of the crate relative to the ground is easy to calculate.
TL;DR Summary
Badly worded (at least) exam question
1666637667511.png

Is it just me or are there some fundamental problems with this exam question ? What is driving me bananas is you have a moving truck (constant velocity). Then the truck "accelerates" but the block in the back of the truck "stays in the same place". Does this mean relative to the ground, relative to the "constant velocity" truck frame or relative to the now accelerating truck frame ? How do you draw a free body diagram for an object in an accelerating frame ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
neilparker62 said:
Then the truck "accelerates" but the block in the back of the truck "stays in the same place". Does this mean relative to the ground, relative to the "constant velocity" truck frame or relative to the now accelerating truck frame ?
I read it as relative to the truck itself.

• Informative
Likes jbriggs444, neilparker62, topsquark and 2 others
neilparker62 said:
Does this mean relative to the ground, relative to the "constant velocity" truck frame or relative to the now accelerating truck frame ?
It must mean relative to the truck. You can infer this from the following parts of the question
neilparker62 said:
How do you draw a free body diagram for an object in an accelerating frame ?
A frame is essentially a system of coordinates. An object is not in any frame; an object is in all frames. In this case, the crate is accelerating with the truck and a free-body diagram shows the forces that cause that acceleration.

• Informative
Likes neilparker62, topsquark, Lnewqban and 1 other person
Ok - many thanks all. "Just me" indeed I guess. But what about 4.2.5. Acceleration relative to what ?

neilparker62 said:
Ok - many thanks all. "Just me" indeed I guess. But what about 4.2.5. Acceleration relative to what ?
relative to the truck.

anorlunda said:
relative to the truck.
I disagree with this assessment. It must be relative to the ground because the acceleration of the truck in 4.2.5 is unspecified and could be arbitrarily large. As a result, the acceleration of the crate relative to the truck will be impossible to determine. But the acceleration of the crate relative to the ground is easy to calculate.

Edit: I do see a minor concern with the wording of 4.2.2

We are asked to graphically depict the direction of motion of the truck but not the direction of its acceleration. Technically the two need not be aligned. The questioner presumably assumes the forward acceleration of a forward-moving truck along a straight highway.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes DrClaude, PeroK and berkeman
anorlunda said:
relative to the truck.
I agree with @jbriggs444. I'd assume we are talking about (real) acceleration relative to the inertial ground frame.

jbriggs444 said:
I disagree with this assessment. It must be relative to the ground because the acceleration of the truck in 4.2.5 is unspecified and could be arbitrarily large. As a result, the acceleration of the crate relative to the truck will be impossible to determine. But the acceleration of the crate relative to the ground is easy to calculate.
I am borrowing from this "cheat sheet / video".

1666755764257.png

A maximum possible acceleration for the truck can be determined. Then I guess the difference between that and the crate's acceleration relative to ground would give the (backward) acceleration) of the crate relative to the truck in the event of the crate slipping. Assuming a more or less instant 'transition' from static to kinetic friction.

Last edited:
neilparker62 said:
I am borrowing from this "cheat sheet / video".

View attachment 316086

A maximum possible acceleration for the truck can be determined. Then I guess the difference between that and the crate's acceleration relative to ground would give the (backward) acceleration) of the crate relative to the truck in the event of the crate slipping. Assuming a more or less instant 'transition' from static to kinetic friction.
Yes, in general the maximum acceleration due to static fraction in a case like this is ##\mu_sg##. If the acceleration of the truck exceeds this, then the crate slips and the acceleration of the crate reduces to ##\mu_kg##.

1. What is the fundamental problem with the exam question about the moving truck and acceleration?

The fundamental problem with this exam question is that it does not provide enough context or information to accurately solve the problem. It is also not clear what type of acceleration is being referred to (constant, average, instantaneous, etc.), making it difficult to determine the correct approach to solving the problem.

2. Can this exam question be solved with the given information?

No, this exam question cannot be solved with the given information. In order to accurately solve for acceleration, we need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time elapsed. Without this information, we cannot accurately calculate acceleration.

3. What additional information would be needed to solve this exam question?

As mentioned before, we would need the initial velocity, final velocity, and time elapsed in order to accurately solve for acceleration. Additionally, we would also need to know the mass of the truck and any external forces acting upon it.

4. Why is it important to provide enough context and information in exam questions?

Providing enough context and information in exam questions is important because it allows students to accurately demonstrate their understanding and knowledge of the subject matter. Without enough information, students may resort to guessing or using incorrect assumptions, leading to inaccurate solutions.

5. How can this exam question be improved to better assess students' understanding?

This exam question can be improved by providing more context and information, such as the initial velocity, final velocity, time elapsed, and any external forces acting upon the truck. Additionally, specifying the type of acceleration being referred to (constant, average, instantaneous) would also help students determine the correct approach to solving the problem.