Box sliding down a ramp question

In summary, a block slides down a ramp inclined at an angle of q above the horizontal. Initially the block is at rest a distance s from the bottom. Calculate the time required for the block to slide to the bottom using the equation v = v0 + at.
francescalynn
In order to get an appreciation for the time scales involved, think about a block that slides without friction down a ramp that is inclined at an angle q above the horizontal. Initially the block is at rest a distance s (measured along the plane) from the bottom. Click the button marked “DATA” for specific values of q and s. (Remember these numbers; you will need them later.) Calculate the time required for the block to slide to the bottom.

For my given values I have: distance, s = 306 m, and q = 11 deg
To find the time it takes for the block to slide to the bottom, I tried:

d = 306sin(11) = 58.4 m

d = v0t - 1/2at^2

58.4 = 0 - 1/2(-9.8)t^2

t = 3.45017

and

1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv0^2 = F*d

1/2v^2 - 1/2(0)^2 = a*d

1/2v^2 = -9.81(-306sin(11))

v = 33.38289 m/s

v = v0 + at

t = 3.44898

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see how you tried this problem. However, when a block is on a ramp the situation is slightly different. Take a look at the attached diagram. This is how the forces are acting on this block. The force normal comes into play, and of course in this case, there is no force friction. So the only two forces in action are the weight of the block and the force normal.

Take the plane of the ramp as the x-axis, as on the diagram. Then the force normal is a y-force, the weight has x and y components. The y-component and force normal should cancel out (can you see why?) and we are left with the x-component of the weight, which is the reason the block moves. Equate that with ma, find the acceleration, then go on as you did in your solution.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions! :)

Last edited:
francescalynn said:
In order to get an appreciation for the time scales involved, think about a block that slides without friction down a ramp that is inclined at an angle q above the horizontal. Initially the block is at rest a distance s (measured along the plane) from the bottom. Click the button marked “DATA” for specific values of q and s. (Remember these numbers; you will need them later.) Calculate the time required for the block to slide to the bottom.

For my given values I have: distance, s = 306 m, and q = 11 deg
To find the time it takes for the block to slide to the bottom, I tried:

d = 306sin(11) = 58.4 m
This is the height of the block at its start point, not the distance traveled by the block
d = v0t - 1/2at^2

58.4 = 0 - 1/2(-9.8)t^2
you have to correct the distance and also the accelerataion. The acceleration is not g, the block is not in free fall. Newton's laws will help you find the acceleration down the plane.
and

1/2mv^2 - 1/2mv0^2 = F*d

1/2v^2 - 1/2(0)^2 = a*d

1/2v^2 = -9.81(-306sin(11))

v = 33.38289 m/s
this looks OK
v = v0 + at

t = 3.44898
Correct the value of 'a' using the value you found in part 1.

whoops... arithmetical error

once I fixed it I got

t = sqrt(306/.5*9.8*sin(11)) = 18.901, which was correct

thank you for the help :)

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a box sliding down a ramp?

The acceleration of a box sliding down a ramp can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the ramp from the horizontal.

2. What factors affect the speed of a box sliding down a ramp?

The speed of a box sliding down a ramp is affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the box, and the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the box. A steeper ramp, a heavier box, and a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster speed.

3. How does the length of the ramp affect the motion of the box?

The length of the ramp will affect the motion of the box by increasing the distance the box travels, which in turn affects its speed and acceleration. A longer ramp will result in a longer distance traveled and potentially a higher speed and acceleration.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the force acting on the box?

The relationship between the angle of the ramp and the force acting on the box is determined by the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ramp. As the angle of the ramp increases, the force acting on the box also increases.

5. How does the surface of the ramp affect the motion of the box?

The surface of the ramp can affect the motion of the box by changing the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the box. A smoother surface will result in a lower coefficient of friction, allowing the box to slide down the ramp faster. A rougher surface will result in a higher coefficient of friction, slowing down the box's motion.