Boy scout problem (Serway and Jewett)

In summary, the equation a=v dv/dx is fine as long as x is associated with v in the same way that dv/dx is associated with a.
Kavya Chopra

Homework Statement

To protect his food from hungry bears, a boy scout raises his food pack with a rope that
is thrown over a tree limb at height $$h$$ above his hands. He walks away from the vertical rope
with constant velocity $$v_b$$, holding the free end of the rope in his hands
(a) Show that the speed $$v$$ of the food pack is given by $$x(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–1}{2} v_b$$ where $x$ is the distance he has walked away from the vertical rope.
(b) Show that the acceleration a of the food pack is $$h^2(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{-3}{2} v_b^2$$

I've done a), and am having a problem with b)

Homework Equations

$$v\frac{dv}{dx}=a$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to get
$$x(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–1}{2} v_b\frac{d(x(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–1}{2} v_b)}{dh}$$

Solving the partial derivative, I got
$$x(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–1}{2} v_b hx(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–3}{2}v_b$$
Which doesn't match the answer.
So, where am I going wrong?

Also, any alternative non-calculus solutions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavya Chopra said:
$$v\frac{dv}{dx}=a$$.
Where x is what, in the context of the problem?

haruspex said:
Where x is what, in the context of the problem?
h, since the velocity and acceleration are both in the direction of the vertical distance h

Kavya Chopra said:
h, since the velocity and acceleration are both in the direction of the vertical distance h
But h is a constant. You cannot differentiate wrt a constant.
You need the distance of which v is the derivative wrt time.

It isn't x, is it?
That's the only other variable distance on which velocity depends.
On the other hand, do we have to integrate velocity w.r.t. Time to get that distance?
To me the second one seems more appropriate, but then how to we find time?
Which one to do, and why?

Kavya Chopra said:
He walks away from the vertical rope with constant velocity $$v_b$$, holding the free end of the rope in his hands
(a) Show that the speed $$v$$ of the food pack is given by $$x(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{–1}{2} v_b$$ where $x$ is the distance he has walked away from the vertical rope.
(b) Show that the acceleration a of the food pack is $$h^2(x^2 + h^2)^\frac{-3}{2} v_b^2$$

Homework Equations

$$v\frac{dv}{dx}=a$$

The last equation is not correct.It should be $$\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=a$$
What is ##\frac{dx}{dt}##?
Why do you want to integrate velocity with respect time? How is acceleration defined?

Kavya Chopra said:
It isn't x, is it?
No, it isn't.
Kavya Chopra said:
That's the only other variable distance on which velocity depends.
How about a function of h and x?
What is this velocity v? The rate of change of what distance?
ehild said:
The last equation is not correct.
Looks ok to me. The two v's must represent dx/dt, though.

haruspex said:
Looks ok to me. The two v's must represent dx/dt, though.
v is the velocity of the food; vertical. It depends on the horizontal distance traveled by the boy.
v is function of x. The acceleration of the food is dv/dt=(dv/dx) (dx/dt). And dx/dt=vb, where vb is the velocity of the boy.

ehild said:
v is the velocity of the food; vertical. It depends on the horizontal distance traveled by the boy.
v is function of x. The acceleration of the food is dv/dt=(dv/dx) (dx/dt). And dx/dt=vb, where vb is the velocity of the boy.
We are at cross purposes, but effectively saying the same thing.
I wrote that the equation a = v dv/dx is fine so long as meanings are such that v=dx/dt. Since the v in that equation is not the velocity of the boy, the x in that equation is not the displacement of the boy. See post #2.

But if we allow x to be an arbitrary parameter we can still write a = dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt).

You are taking x to be the displacement of the boy, as in the question statement, in which case, as you posted, dx/dt=vb. I agree that looks like the simpler approach.

haruspex said:
But if we allow x to be an arbitrary parameter we can still write a = dv/dt = (dv/dx)(dx/dt).

You are taking x to be the displacement of the boy, as in the question statement, in which case, as you posted, dx/dt=vb. I agree that looks like the simpler approach.
Well, the problem definitely said that x is the displacement of the boy. So the OP-s equation a=v dv/dx was not correct.

ehild said:
Well, the problem definitely said that x is the displacement of the boy. So the OP-s equation a=v dv/dx was not correct.
It was listed as a "relevant equation". That is, it is quoted from some notes or text. As such, the equation was fine, but, as ever, it ought to be accompanied with "... where a, v and x are ...".
A significant proportion of the errors on the forum are down to equations being used with the wrong association between formal and actual parameters.

haruspex said:
It was listed as a "relevant equation". That is, it is quoted from some notes or text. As such, the equation was fine, but, as ever, it ought to be accompanied with "... where a, v and x are ...".
A significant proportion of the errors on the forum are down to equations being used with the wrong association between formal and actual parameters.
I agree.

Yeah @above is right. I didn't explicitly mention what the variables were referring to. Here by x, I didn't mean the horizontal displacement in the equation, but the general form by which such an equation is represented.
What I meant was

$$\frac{dh}{dt}\frac{dv}{dh}=a$$

But as the above pointed out, you can't differentiate w.r.t. a constant.
So @above^2's approach of
$$\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dv}{dx}=a$$
is the correct one since x is variable. That gives the correct answer.

What I was wondering was that why was my equation not correct. I thought that we can't use $$\frac{dv}{dx}$$ as they are both perpendicular to each other and hence have no components in each other's direction (forgetting that $$\frac{dv}{da}=t$$ is true for circular motion)

One last question: as long as A is a function of B, no matter what the angle between them is, can we differentiate or integrate A w.r.t. B?( A and B are physical quantities)
(Sorry, I'm just a beginner at calculus and calculus based physics, so I'm not very good at it)

Kavya Chopra said:
as long as A is a function of B, no matter what the angle between them is, can we differentiate or integrate A w.r.t. B?
Yes, and also if B is a function of A. In graphical terms, if you have a graph of y against x, ∫y.dx gives the area between the curve and the x axis, while ∫x.dy gives the area between the curve and the y axis.

OK. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the "Boy Scout Problem" in Serway and Jewett's book?

The Boy Scout Problem, also known as the "Hiking Problem," is a physics problem that involves calculating the distance and time it would take for a Boy Scout to hike a certain distance with varying speeds and rest times.

2. How does the Boy Scout Problem relate to physics?

The Boy Scout Problem is a classic example of a physics problem that involves the concepts of distance, speed, and time. It allows students to apply their understanding of these concepts to a real-world scenario.

3. What are the key principles used to solve the Boy Scout Problem?

The key principles used to solve the Boy Scout Problem are the equations for average speed and distance, as well as the concept of adding vectors to calculate the total distance traveled.

4. Can the Boy Scout Problem be solved using different units of measurement?

Yes, the Boy Scout Problem can be solved using different units of measurement as long as the units are consistent. For example, the distance can be measured in miles or kilometers, and the speed can be measured in miles per hour or meters per second.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Boy Scout Problem?

Yes, the Boy Scout Problem has real-life applications in sports, such as calculating the distance and time a runner would need to cover in a race with varying speeds and rest times. It can also be applied to planning a road trip with different speed limits and rest stops.