BPA free plastic also not safe?

• Medical
  • Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary: I think this is the study that Eastman sued Certichem over as to details of a study. You can make of it as you will.Eastman won the suit by jury.In summary, Eastman Tritan copolyester may still contain estrogenic chemicals, and it's not clear if Eastman Tritan is safer than other types of plastic.
mieral
A relative gave me a new bottle that is free of BPA.. but researching I found out it is a Eastman Tritan which the following articles claim still contain estrogenic chemicals.. I'm still confused by the following articles:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bpa-free-plastic-containers-may-be-just-as-hazardous/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222987/

So does Eastman Tritan copolyester have bisphenol S (BPS)? If not.. what is the estrogenic chemicals present?

What bottles or plastic do you use?

Maybe the safest thing to use in gym is water jug made of glass?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd be a lot more worried about the risk of cutting an artery or tendon from broken glass than I would about chemical exposure from plastics.
But if I wanted to avoid plastics, I'd go with stainless steel.

mieral said:
What bottles or plastic do you use?
I don't use any disposable plastic bottles, except for ( refundable ) pop at times, and very rarely the refillable type.
I am not too worried about myself since more "chemicals" I do acquire through life won't preserve me much more than the ones I already have.:))

Likes jim mcnamara
NTL2009 said:
But if I wanted to avoid plastics, I'd go with stainless steel.
Aluminum bottles are more common.

mieral said:
So does Eastman Tritan copolyester have bisphenol S (BPS)? If not.. what is the estrogenic chemicals present?
Good chance one chemical used in the process is triphenyl phosphate.

I think this is the study that Eastman sued Certichem over as to details of a study. You can make of it as you will.
Eastman won the suit by jury.
http://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-069X-13-41
Note that some of the tests defined in the study, may or may not be something you do to your bottle.

Reason I referenced that article is that while there are such a thing as EA chemicals, defining the harm to humans ( and the environment ) is not at all that easy to determine.

As NTL2009 stated, sometimes there is risk assessment to be taken into account.

Well, this is seems scary, BPA-free does not mean chemical free, but yes BPA is more dangerous than other chemicals. And although the evidence is building against BPA substitutes, more research is needed to assess the effects on human health.

FAQ: BPA free plastic also not safe?

1. Is BPA-free plastic really safe?

While BPA-free plastic does not contain the chemical bisphenol-A, it may still contain other potentially harmful chemicals. Additionally, BPA-free plastic can still leach chemicals into food or liquids, especially when exposed to heat or acidic substances.

2. How can I know if a plastic product is BPA-free?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to determine if a plastic product is BPA-free. However, some manufacturers may label their products as BPA-free or use alternative materials such as glass or stainless steel.

3. Are there any health risks associated with BPA-free plastic?

While BPA-free plastic may not contain BPA, it can still pose health risks. Studies have shown that some alternative chemicals used in BPA-free plastic, such as bisphenol-S (BPS) and bisphenol-F (BPF), can have similar effects on the body as BPA.

4. What are the potential dangers of using BPA-free plastic?

BPA-free plastic can potentially leach chemicals into food and drinks, leading to potential health risks such as hormonal disruptions, developmental issues, and increased risk of certain cancers. Additionally, the manufacturing process and disposal of BPA-free plastic can also have negative impacts on the environment.

5. What are some alternatives to using BPA-free plastic?

There are many alternatives to using BPA-free plastic, including glass, stainless steel, and silicone. These materials do not leach chemicals into food or drinks and are also more environmentally friendly. Additionally, using reusable containers and avoiding single-use plastic products can also reduce exposure to potentially harmful chemicals.