1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BPSK singlepath Rayleigh channel

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The aim of this exercise is to derive and simulate the error rate performance
    of binary PSK when the signal is transmitted over a single-path (or frequency
    non-selective) slowly fading channel. The frequency-nonselective channel results
    in multiplicative distortion of the transmitted signal s(t). In addition, the con-
    dition that the channel fades slowly implies that the multiplicative process may
    be regarded as a constant during at least one signaling interval. Therefore, the
    received equivalent lowpass signal in one signaling interval is

r(t) = [itex]\alpha[/itex] * exp(j * [itex]\phi[/itex]) * s(t) + z(t) 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] t [itex]\leq[/itex] ts

where z(t) represents the complex-valued white Gaussian noise process with
    power spectral density [itex]N_0[/itex]/2

Assume that the channel fading is sufficiently slow that the phase shift, [itex]\phi[/itex] can
    be estimated from the received signal without error. Then, we can achieve ideal
    coherent detection of the received signal. The received signal can be processed
    by passing it through a matched filter. Show that for a fixed (time-invariant)
    channel, i.e., for a fixed attenuation [itex]\alpha[/itex], the error rate of binary PSK as a function
    of the received SNR, [itex]\gamma[/itex] is
    [itex]P_b[/itex]([itex]\gamma[/itex]) = Q([itex]\sqrt{}2\gamma[/itex])
    where [itex]\gamma[/itex] = [itex]\alpha^2 E_b / N_0[/itex] and [itex]E_b[/itex] is the energy of the transmitted signal per bit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone give me an idea on how to start..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2
    How do I go about it
    i) Take the convolution of r(t) with the impulse response of a filter matched to s(t). Consider output signal and output noise separately.
    ii) Remember that the modulation method is binary PSK, which means the phase shift is either 0 or pi. What is the possible output signal values?
    iii) Before you compute error probability, you must obtain the pdf of the output noise.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook