Bragg Law and Effect of Doubling Wavelength

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter elemis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bragg Law Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
elemis
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
My lecturer discussed bragg's law a few weeks ago and described how the angle theta changes as the wavelength is doubled.

I can't seem to duplicate his result.

I know that the bragg condition for a maxima would reduce to : dsinθ=mλ when the wavelength is doubled.

In his example he knew that maxima were observed at 20.5 and 44.5 degrees but he gave no other values.

How would I go about predicting the angles at which the maximas are now observed ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
If you double λ and m and d stay constant, sinθ doubles as well. You can calculate sinθ in your example.

True, so sin(20.5) = 0.3502... This multiplied by 2 gives : 0.700... Sin inverse of this gives 44.5 degrees.

But if I double sin(44.5) I get a value larger than 1. How is it possible to take the sine inverse of this ?

EDIT : Does this imply there is only one maxima now at 44.5 degrees ?
 
elemis said:
EDIT : Does this imply there is only one maxima now at 44.5 degrees ?
The 44.5-maximum has no equivalent for the doubled wavelength, right.