1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Law and Effect of Doubling Wavelength

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    My lecturer discussed bragg's law a few weeks ago and described how the angle theta changes as the wavelength is doubled.

I cant seem to duplicate his result.

I know that the bragg condition for a maxima would reduce to : dsinθ=mλ when the wavelength is doubled.

In his example he knew that maxima were observed at 20.5 and 44.5 degrees but he gave no other values.

How would I go about predicting the angles at which the maximas are now observed ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you double λ and m and d stay constant, sinθ doubles as well. You can calculate sinθ in your example.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    True, so sin(20.5) = 0.3502... This multiplied by 2 gives : 0.700.... Sin inverse of this gives 44.5 degrees.

But if I double sin(44.5) I get a value larger than 1. How is it possible to take the sine inverse of this ?

EDIT : Does this imply there is only one maxima now at 44.5 degrees ?

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The 44.5-maximum has no equivalent for the doubled wavelength, right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook