Electron Diffraction: Calculate Crystal Plane Spacing

In summary, a beam of electrons with a kinetic energy of 50eV is incident on a powdered crystal sample, resulting in a series of bright and dark rings on a screen behind the sample. The bright rings are observed at angles of theta = 20 degrees and theta = 40.7 degrees, and the spacing of the planes of the crystal can be calculated using the Bragg diffraction equation and the relationship between wavelength and kinetic energy. However, due to a lack of information about the order of the bright fringes, further calculations are needed to minimize discrepancies and find a consistent value for the spacing of the crystal's planes.
throneoo

Homework Statement

a beam of electrons with a kinetic energy of 50eV is incident on a powdered crystal sample. A series of bright and dark rings is observed on a screen behind the sample, as shown below (a picture which shows two concentric circles with the beam passing through the center . ) If bright rings are observed at angles of theta =20 degrees and theta =40.7 degrees to the beam direction , calculate the spacing of the planes of the crystal.

Homework Equations

bragg diffraction , p=h/lambda ,E=p^2/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the wavelength using a combination of the 2nd and 3rd equation (E=(h/lambda)^2 / 2m )

but since no further information is given regarding the order of the bright fringes at those 2 angles (e.g. the relationship between the two maxima , in which order they are in etc.) I assumed they correspond to the 1st and 2nd maxima .
using 2d sin theta=n lambda , I can get two different values of d with the two angles .

However , the discrepancy between the two values is quite huge (about 10%) . therefore I don't know how to get a consistent value .

so I decided to find two integers n and m such that n/m is approximately equal to the ratio of the sines of the angles ~ 1.906608182 (which is just from the formula) , and minimize the discrepancy of d .

but I'm afraid I would get large values of n and m just to satisfy the condition , so large they are not even physically feasible .

Physics news on Phys.org
just realized I need to divide the angle by 2 before applying the formula . the values are much more consistent now .

1. What is electron diffraction?

Electron diffraction is a technique used to study the structure of materials by analyzing how electrons interact with the atoms in a sample.

2. How is electron diffraction used to calculate crystal plane spacing?

Electron diffraction patterns can be used to determine the angles between crystal planes in a material. By applying Bragg's Law and measuring the distance between the diffraction spots, the crystal plane spacing can be calculated.

3. What information do you need to calculate crystal plane spacing using electron diffraction?

You will need to know the wavelength of the electron beam, the angle of diffraction, and the order of the diffraction spot.

4. How accurate is the calculation of crystal plane spacing using electron diffraction?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the instrument used and the quality of the diffraction pattern. With modern electron diffraction instruments, the accuracy can be within 0.1% of the actual value.

5. What are some common applications of electron diffraction for calculating crystal plane spacing?

Electron diffraction is commonly used in materials science and engineering to determine the crystal structure of a material. It is also used in fields such as geology, mineralogy, and chemistry to study the composition and properties of crystals.