1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bragg Scattering Question

1. Sep 9, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Briefly describe how diffraction through a crystal lattice could be used to isolate a single wavelength from X-rays of many wavelengths.

2. Relevant equations
    Bragg's equation: 2dsin(Θ)=n*λ

3. The attempt at a solution

Pretty fundamental question for the lab that I am about to go through. Instead of trying to just get by this answer, I wanted to come here and ask for some opinions and learn what I could.

Here's, so far, my early understanding:
    At certain incident angles, and at certain wavelengths, diffraction through a crystal creates constructive interference. Using Braggs equation, we can then find the wavelength by plugging in the angle theta, d, and maxima.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    If I'm not wrong the Bragg's equation denotes the path difference between two waves being scattered by different atoms. So certain angle of incidence will cause certain wavelengths of X-rays to form destructive interference, leaving only the wavelength of X-rays that you want. I believe it is possible to calculate the required angle by using the Bragg's equation.

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4
    Bump. I thought I knew the answer but I was very far off.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Out of curiosity, what was it that you thought you knew, that turned out to be wrong?
    This may motivate the conversation further. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted