Branch Cuts in the Complex Plane

In summary, the function f(z) = (1-z2)1/2 is defined to be real and positive on the real axis in the range -1 < x < 1. By using cuts along the real axis for 1 < x < infinity and -infinity < x < -1, the function is made single-valued. To evaluate f(z) on both sides of the cuts, it must be expressed in terms of complex exponentials and defined using a similar method as sqrt(z) around 0 with a branch cut along the negative x axis. This results in f(z) = (r1r2)1/2ei(theta1 + theta2 - pi).
metgt4

Homework Statement

The function

f(z) = (1-z2)1/2

of the complex variable z is defined to be real and positive on the real axis in the range -1 < x < 1. Using cuts running along the real axis for 1 < x < infinity and -infinity < x < -1, show how f(z) is made single-valued and evaluate it on the upper and lower sides of both cuts.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by expressing f(z) in terms of complex exponentials:

f(z) = (1-z2)1/2
= (e-i2pi - r1r2ei2(theta1 + theta2))1/2
= (r1r2)1/2ei(theta1 + theta2 - pi)

But I don't understand how to evaluate this on both sides of the cuts. I've searched the internet quite a bit trying to find something to help explain it to me but couldn't find anything so I've come to you guys!

Thanks for any help!
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
Remind yourself of how sqrt(z) is defined around 0 with a branch cut along the negative x axis. You define choose the range of argument theta=(-pi,pi) for z not on the negative real axis and then if z=r*e^(i*theta), define sqrt(z)=r^(1/2)*exp(i*theta/2), right? For your function you want to define sqrt(1+z) around z=(-1) and sqrt(1-z) around z=1 with their suggested cuts in an analogous way. Then multiply them together to get f(z).

1. What are branch cuts in the complex plane?

Branch cuts are a concept in complex analysis that refers to a discontinuity in a multivalued function in the complex plane. They are often visualized as a line or curve where the function is not defined or has a jump in value.

2. Why do we need branch cuts in the complex plane?

Branch cuts are necessary because they allow us to define a single-valued function from a multivalued function. By removing a branch cut, we can restrict the domain of the function and make it well-defined.

3. How do we identify branch cuts in a complex function?

Branch cuts can be identified by looking at the function's behavior as it approaches a point in the complex plane. If the function has a jump or discontinuity at that point, it is likely a branch cut.

4. How are branch cuts related to branch points?

Branch cuts and branch points are closely related concepts. Branch points are the points in the complex plane where a multivalued function becomes single-valued after removing a branch cut. In other words, branch cuts are the "cuts" we make to define single-valued functions at branch points.

5. Can we avoid branch cuts in complex analysis?

In some cases, we can avoid branch cuts by using other techniques such as analytic continuation. However, in many cases, branch cuts are necessary to define single-valued functions from multivalued functions in the complex plane.