1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Break between grad& undergrad phx for master's in philosophy?

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    Another question:

A lot of people have discussed the idea of a year off between undergrad and grad. school. My question is, would it be looked upon negatively if during my 1-2 years off I did something not directly physics? I'm considering doing a Master's in the Philosophy of Physics, which wouldn't at all quite be physics, but would be really interesting (I think). I love picking up my old books and reviewing, so I'm pretty sure I could keep my technical skills sharp until time for physics PhD, but just wondered what all of YOU think.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    I don't know what impact it would have on you admissions-wise (though I assume it would be small), but I think it would be a brilliant idea life-wise. Expanding your mind in a non-technical way is probably really good for you, and if you would take the masters at the same institution you wish to acquire your Phd from, it would probably help admissions.

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I disagree. It shows a lack of focus. I also don't believe that you'll "keep your skills sharp". You don't do that by reviewing what you already know. You do that by learning new things.

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    you know i hate that most people on admission's committees will agree with you. i don't understand - i/we/proverbial you shouldn't have any other interests aside from physics/math/1 thing?

and if you're going to rebutt by saying well you can pursue those on the side i say what if my interest in this/these other things is so great that i want to study it intensely. it's a no brainer then to go to a place of higher learning where they study that isn't it.

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

A PhD is a specialized degree - it requires specialization. There are people who are tempermentally unsuited for this kind of specialization, and they tend to do poorly in a PhD program. It's in the department's best interest not to accept them.

7. Nov 14, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree with V. Sure you can have interests elsewhere, but if you want to take a masters degree in these other subjects, then you are not focused enough to undertake a Phd program.

8. Nov 14, 2008 #7
    I will agree and disagree. If you are a genius, that helps. Make a 99% on your physics subject GRE and I don't think pursuing a masters in philosophy will hurt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?