Bridge Collapse Genoa - Informed Engineering Perspectives

In summary, a bridge collapse in Genoa, Italy has resulted in many fatalities and has been a major news item in Europe. The collapse has raised concerns about the maintenance and inspection of bridges, as well as the use of modern engineering techniques in construction. Experts have criticized the design of the bridge and stated that corrosion and fatigue may have played a role in the collapse. Investigators will be looking at various factors such as design, construction methods, materials used, and dynamic loads to determine the cause of the failure.
It's a few meg pdf file, and in Italian, but has interesting pictures during construction.
Those stay attachments were added sometime after 1968.
Which doesn't really mean a thing .

The stays themselves are encased in concrete that's why they're square. . I don't know what provisions there were for inspection.
There are in that document @nsaspook linked some pictures of them before the concrete cover was put on.

Hey - @ worked first time ! Something has changed !

Engineering news on Phys.org
This might not have anything to do with the bridge collapse, but I noticed that in cases where old rebar is newly exposed that the rebar is severely rusted out. How would this affect the material's ability to handle stress? How does rebar rust while it's encased in concrete? Does it occur while the concrete is curing? Now that there are coatings to prevent corrosion shouldn't rebar be treated before being used?

If the old concrete is near salt water there is a chemical reaction between the chloride and the concrete. I don't recall the exact details, someone else here may be able to correct any errors, but here goes.

The chloride reaction weakens the concrete and makes it more hygroscopic. When the absorbed moisture reaches the rebar, it rusts. Since rust has approximately 13 times the volume of the steel, the expansion cracks the concrete, letting in more moisture.

Several years ago I lived in a building where this was happening. The individual concrete stair steps on a steel framework were cracking. The building was built on a concrete deck over underground parking which had the same problem, chunks of concrete were falling off the deck into the parking garage. I moved, the building is still there, so far.

Another example is the Gerald Desmond Bridge in Long Beach, Calif. It is being replaced for the same reason. The temporary "fix" for the bridge was to put steel nets under it to catch the concrete before it fell on the ships entering the port.

There is now an additive for concrete that supposedly avoids that chemical reaction, but it isn't always used; especially for imported products like concrete steps.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Astronuc and alantheastronomer
Tom.G said:
Since rust has approximately 13 times the volume of the steel, the expansion cracks the concrete, letting in more moisture.
Get with the times. Basalt rebar is stronger than steel, weighs less, and does not rust.
https://basalt-rebar.com/

I always liked this photo

I35WBridgeCollapseMarineOne.jpg

one bridge tries to push itself together
the other tries to pull itself apart

Both succeeded.

I question the value system of anyone who advocates cheap construction and expensive maintenance.

Attachments

• I35WBridgeCollapseMarineOne.jpg
    I35WBridgeCollapseMarineOne.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 458
jim hardy said:
one bridge tries to push itself together
the other tries to pull itself apart

Both succeeded.
Which is which Jim? Sorry, I'm dense sometimes... :smile:

berkeman said:
Which is which Jim? Sorry, I'm dense sometimes.
not at allthe one in compression is still standing . Think Arch.

The one in tension fell down. Think Truss.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman