Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brightness detected based on direction of travel relative to source

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    I don’t see that this question has been asked before and I am hoping the generous moderators of this forum will be able to answer it.

Suppose you have the “standard” situation with the man M on the embankment and the woman W in the center of the moving train car. (The train has lots of windows enabling M to see in.) W strikes a match (it’s a special kind of match that has a constant luminosity, L). The distance between W (and the match) and the front of the car is D1; the distance between W and the back of the car is D2. Since we assume W is in the exact middle, D1=D2.

At each end of the car is a brightness detector with a digital LCD readout. Brightness is equal to L/4[pi]r, I believe, where L is luminosity and r is the distance from the light source to the detector. The distance that the light travels from the match to the front detector is r1; the distance that the light travels from the match to the rear detector is r2.

Because the train is moving toward the front, r1 > r2. This should mean that the rear detector measures a level of brightness that is greater than that measured by the front detector. Thus the rear detector would display a number that is greater than the number displayed by the front detector.

Wouldn’t M and W see the same numbers? In the same train car going in the opposite direction, wouldn’t the rear detector display a number that is less than the number displayed by the front detector?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

You forgot the Headlight Effect. (I found this site independently :wink: ).
    Quick explanation: There are many effects you have to consider, all of which conspire to make the Lorentz Transformations valid. However, if you look at it differently: The LT are indeed valid (or, at least, self-consistent), and all those effects are simply derived from it. So it is no miracle that all works out self-consistently.
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Energy is a frame-variant quantity so luminosity (energy/time) and brightness (luminosity/area) are also frame variant. A detector moving away from a source will generally detect lower energy than one moving towards a source as the Doppler red-shift lowers the energy of the detected photons, but does not change the number of photons.
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Thanks very much! I wasn't aware of the headlight effect.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?