Brilliant Woman Solves All of California's Problems

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
In summary, the woman speaking was on a soapbox about California's new land policies, and the negative effects they have on the east coast. Some people in the audience laughed at her, while others seemed to be captivated. She went on for a long time, and I found the information she was presenting to be quite ignorant.
I couldn't make much of it myself, but there was a moment when I caught the word 'silkworms'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Sound like this is one of these rare moments when I don't have to regret not being able to understand spoken English.

You probably understood it just as well as any of the rest of us.

I'm surprised the town council managed to stay composed throughout that whole speech. I know people have the right to speak at public meetings without being cut off and told they're not making any sense, but I'll bet they desperately wanted to make an exception this one time. As Churchill said,

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter".

She's quite the filibuster!

Math Is Hard said:
Totally. :cool:
Werd.

maverick_starstrider said:
Someone had to draw the flack and give Dan Quayle and Yogi Berra a reprieve. Honestly though, even on my most apathetic and elitist day I find it impossible to believe that 20% of americans can't find america on the map (unless they included 3 year olds in their study)
Yogi Berra?! How dare you insult one of the premier American philsophers!

fuzzyfelt said:
I couldn't make much of it myself, but there was a moment when I caught the word 'silkworms'.

I think she wanted us to mine more silkworms?

She starts out with "I know the crops are growing well..." What century is this?

flatmaster said:
She starts out with "I know the crops are growing well..." What century is this?

It probably just means the crop she was smoking before starting that ramble.

Moonbear said:
It probably just means the crop she was smoking before starting that ramble.
That's what I was thinking - or more precisely - what has she been smoking.

Probably too much stuff - you know - like things.

Things we could like sell.

And like make like stuff.

We could like make stuff and - um - like sell it with things.

And the like world would be like a much better place.

I feel a new California franchise opportunity - like - Stuff & Things.

Ya. Like - WOW! Really.

:cool:

I have not been smoking. o:)

Is Cyrus on vacation again? I can't believe he wouldn't chime into comment on this if he was around. :smile:

“The crops are growing very well. And they’re organic and some of them have pesticides. And I think that we should make a perfect pesticide for the crops that is good for people and healthy and keeps the crops preserved too because we need the food because it’s food and stuff. And organic food is good also.

“The businesses downtown really need to lower their rent because if the rent was lower those people would really have their own businesses. They have enough stuff. They’re very good at making things. They’re like experts. They’re really good.
“And we can really be a community and make the things and sell them in our stores. And I really believe that it can be a California thing. That it can really work out. Because we can be rich in cotton and mining metals and silkworms and we can make things. We can make things—cars. The machine can make it for us. We can have the community and the city and San Francisco. And we can make things and put them in the store—
“On the east coast they have slaves, and they believe in slavery and made in China. But on the west coast—the new west coast—we don’t believe in that. We believe in the union, and that’s what we are.
“Because in the Bush administration, which is really good, he has government funding for small business owners.
“You can grow every kind of fruit and vegetable you want. That’s how they do it. They have fruit trees and vegetable trees. That’s where our fruit and vegetable come from.
“You freeze the fruit and vegetables it well last forever. You can put—you know, broccoli and strawberries in the freezer and it will last forever. If you don’t, it—you know, it might go bad in awhile, but...
“People we live in California. This is our home. This is where we live.
“Growing food is so good for the people because it’s free. All’s you have to do is pay the farmers and pay for the land. But why do you have to pay for the land. The land’s free. It’s new land, you know. Do you have to pay for the land. Do you have to pay rent? Do you have to pay it?

“The food’s free, so we should just sell it at the farmer’s market.

Moonbear said:
Is Cyrus on vacation again? I can't believe he wouldn't chime into comment on this if he was around. :smile:

It's not nice to talk poorly about Pengwunios wife.

Cyrus said:

Someone married.. er.. I mean, Pengwuino got married? Now that's just really weird.

I think what she was saying is that I have the right to sell my neighbors' avocados at the farmer's market. Sounds good to me.

Cyrus said:

damn it, I thought you stopped talking in GD!