Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woman sues all of the gay people on earth

1. May 6, 2015 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2
    I doubt the court has the statutory jurisdiction to declare homosexuality a sin. Nor would it be in common law that it would.

4. May 6, 2015 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just so...ugh, I can't find the words.

Honestly I try, I really try, to understand the world view of very socially conservative people. Again and again, I fail.

I understand how fiscally conservative people see the world, the type of conservative the media calls "hawks", and "small government" conservatives. I understand them, and appreciate their views as valid. I even find some common ground with them sometimes...not much but that's OK :biggrin:.

It's the social conservatives that leave me perplexed. It seems the core of their worldview is, "Fear people different from you, and squash them!". It's frightening.

5. May 6, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The first thing she will need is about $50 billion, to serve all the defendants.

6. May 6, 2015 #5
    I would hardly think a judgement in one country would apply to every country in the world -- in fact if it did, it may invalidate laws that cannot be set aside by courts, should a decision be reached in her favour.

I would construe sin = illegal.

7. May 6, 2015 #6
    Her handwriting is really nice.

8. May 7, 2015 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 7, 2015 #8
    *facepalm

This is clickbait folks. There is a 0 percent chance this will gain any sort of traction whatsoever, except getting passed around Facebook feeds. It's the ramblings of a mentally ill woman... nothing more.

The Pacquiao case is not at all similar and could actually come to fruition. In fact, he may be facing sanctions for failing to report a pre-existing shoulder injury.

Boxing is the only sport regulated by the goverment. This isn't the NBA or NFL. He didn't lie to a coach, he lied to the state of Nevada in order to be medically cleared. No one would have bought the PPV if he had not been medically cleared, because the fight wouldn't have been allowed to happen.

10. May 7, 2015 #9

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I completely agree with your view regarding social conservatives. I would add that social conservatives are by and large people who are inherently afraid and resistant to change of any sort and have a vision of an antiquated society that does not conform to actual reality.

On Evo's original post, I think it is quite clear to me that this woman's lawsuit is the epitome of a frivolous lawsuit, and will likely be tossed out (as it should).

11. May 7, 2015 #10

russ_watters

So, I wasn't going to reply since this starts heading off topic, but since someone else did:
    I'm not really sure if this qualifies as "social conservative". Typically, social conservativism is equivalent to classical liberalism, which is about personal freedom and personal responsibility (in keeping with "small government"). Social liberals can claim something similar. The reality is that both favor government intrusions, just different types.

Next, "fiscal" and "social" overlap substantially, particularly for anything that costs money to the government (social security/medicare).

I would call this issue "religious conservativism" and say that it actually contradicts social conservativism by increasing scope of government.

This distinction is important to me, because as a nonreligious conservative I disagree with almost every religion-motivated position of the party (I'm pro choice, for example). But I do still follow the party line on nonreligious social issues (strong anti-drug/crime policy, for example).

You might say that republicans have a bit of a split personality in that way and I'd agree. In the US, unfortunately, the religious element has a lot of the power.

Both sides of the spectrum preach freedom because that's the root of modern democracy, but both have certain pet issues on which they want conformity, not freedom.

I also agree with Rick. Nothing to see here, don't mind the crazy lady; they'll cart her back to the home soon enough.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  12. May 7, 2015 #11

russ_watters

While that's an interesting angle I hadn't thought of, I don't think there is a chance of a pass-through fraud case. Athletes have no written or implied contract with the public regarding their performance. So the only real issue is between the state and Pacquiao.

And I'm quite certain the State of Nevada cares exactly as much about this as the NFL cares about deflate-gate.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  13. May 7, 2015 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

Why? Because she's single and she thinks that's their fault?:blushing:

14. May 7, 2015 #13
    I do agree that it's pretty unlikely. At first I thought it was utterly ridiculous until I read a little more into it. Now I'm not so sure.. but I think the odds of them winning on these grounds are pretty slim.

I'm out a grand total of $20 for the fight but I would hate to be the guy that dropped half a million on Pacquiao.....

15. May 7, 2015 #14
    Some things are both sinful and illegal, take murder for example, but by no means are all sinful things illegal. A person might sit at home drinking to an extreme level of intoxication without breaking any laws, but most religions would probably consider this a sin. Conversely, an illegal thing might not be considered a sin at all. During the Nazi period in Germany it was illegal to harbor Jews in hiding, but people who did that are now considered religious heros in Christianity and Judaism.

That is the main reason this "lawsuit" is fundamentally whacky. The legal system doesn't concern itself with sin, as such.

16. May 7, 2015 #15
    I merely construed a ruling that homosexuality being a sin, would mean it would be illegal. It wasn't meant as a comparison as all those things sinful are illegal.

17. May 7, 2015 #16
    I only read the first page of the petition, but it doesn't look like she's concerned with it's legality. She seems only to want some sort of legal opinion to the effect it is a sin. That, as I said, doesn't make any particular sense, unless it's simply to get them to vocally acknowledge it's a sin in certain religions, as opposed to being silent about the issue. Hard to say where she's going with it.

18. May 7, 2015 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dreadful spelling and punctuation.

ref

We used to get letters like this where I worked(a hospital). I would always scratch my head, and think; "I'm pretty sure this person is crazy, but I know people who are experts at this".

So one day, I handed one of the letters to our most senior emeritus Behavioral Neuroscientist, and after about 5 seconds, he stated; "This person is schizophrenic".

Personally, after reading letters like this, for 10 years, I believe this person is, in layman's terms, crazy.

19. May 7, 2015 #18

Borg

Gold Member

20. May 7, 2015 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

One of my favorite bible "Homo" references:

Given that I'm a born again virgin, which I've heard as being defined as having not having had sex in about 10 years, I think I'll sue everyone on the planet.
    Perverts!

ps. If there are any other born again virgins out there, please PM me, and we can turn this into a global class action law suit. :smile:

21. May 7, 2015 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook