1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BS in Applied Physics/Math Minor to MS Aerospace Engineering

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    I am a junior applied physics major/math minor. I recently decided I want to go for a MS in aerospace or astronautical engineering after I graduate. My applied focus is covered by taking some mechanical engineering classes (my school doesn't have an aerospace degree). I was wondering what kind of material I should study on my own before I start graduate school. My last two years look like (excluding non-related classes):

Fall 2014
    --------
    -Ordinary Differential Equations (emphasis on dynamical systems)
    -Electricity And Magnetism I
    -Theoretical Mechanics
    -Physics Of Condensed Matter

Spring 2015
    -----------
    -Partial Differential Equations
    -Electricity And Magnetism II
    -Thermodynamics II
    -Fluid Mechanics
    -Fluid lab

Fall 2015
    --------
    -Methods Of Numerical Analysis
    -Physical Chemistry I
    -Intro to Programming

Spring 2016
    -----------
    -Atomic and Nuclear Lab​
    -Heat Transfer
    -Energy Lab ( ...to be taken with Heat Transfer. Experiments include Fourier's Law, cooling of fins/rods, determination of free and forced convection heat transfer coefficients, heat exchangers, Stefan Boltzmann Law, surface emission, surface reflection.)

Does this schedule look like it will help and that I won't be completely behind?
    Any info or advice will be helpful.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Get your graduate school's calendar and find out what you need for the degree you want. Google it up. Calendars are often on line. You might also email a prof or two that you might like to work with and get their advice. Also ask if they are going to have room for a new grad student. They might already have nine and no room.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook