BS/MS in CS or BS in CE/CS (combined major)

In summary: It is also important to me to have a good understanding of electricity and magnetism, which are not covered in the CS degree. I am open to other options, but I do think that a CS degree with a few hardware/physics classes would be more complete.

BS/MS in Comp Sci or BS in Comp Sci and Comp Eng

• BS/MS in Computer Science

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • BS in Computer Science and Computer Engineering (combined major)

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Walley1
I am a freshmen at Northeastern University. Right now, I am in the College of Engineering, where I am on track to earn a combined degree in computer science and computer engineering. However, I could easily transfer to the College of Computer and Information Science, where I could earn a master's degree in computer science.

I am more interested in computer science, but I feel like the degree is incomplete without many hardware/physics classes. I want to have an understanding of electricity/magnetism and circuit design, neither of which is offered by the straight CS degree. I also feel that the computer engineering degree would open up a lot of job opportunities in fields like robotics and aerospace, where integrated systems and low-level hardware work are (presumably) extremely relevant skills.

Unfortunately, there are practical matters to consider. I can only afford school right now because of my scholarship and financial aid money, support which lasts for eight semesters. I could finish the master's degree in that time if I do CS. If I stay in the combined program, I would not be able to earn a master's degree without paying a lot out of pocket.

Does a degree in computer engineering open up a lot of doors when compared with a degree in computer science only? Or is a master's of computer science more valuable than a bachelor's that covers the two disciplines? If I do computer science, am I doomed to work in a corporate setting for the rest of my life? I hear computer engineers get the opportunity to do lab work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would need more details but this is what I would weigh if I were in your position,

1. BS/MS in CS
  • Are electives an option? If not , I might self learn a few things so that I can show I'm knowledgeable in the subject when interviewing for possible positions that interest me.
  • Two degrees that I don't have to accumulate a lot of debt for? Awesome
2. BS in CS and CE
  • If I want to pursue graduate school I may want to find an employer that offers reimbursement as an employee benefit.
  • Allows me to get into courses that interest me.
It really depends on what you want to do in life. Do you want to attend graduate school? What kind of things do you want to do?

I have seen openings in my area for software engineers for flight simulators and minimum requirements for them is a Bachelor's in a science related field. They would then determine if you would be a good fit for them based on your experience and or knowledge of what they need. Don't let yourself fall into the thought that you're limited to what you can do by what your degree is in.

Charles Stark said:
I have seen openings in my area for software engineers for flight simulators and minimum requirements for them is a Bachelor's in a science related field. They would then determine if you would be a good fit for them based on your experience and or knowledge of what they need. Don't let yourself fall into the thought that you're limited to what you can do by what your degree is in.

Good point. I do want to attend graduate school, and I am more interested in computer science, but I feel that the computer engineering degree might make it easier to penetrate hardware-centric fields like robotics.

1. What is the difference between a BS/MS in CS and a BS in CE/CS (combined major)?

A BS/MS in CS is a program that allows students to earn both a bachelor's and master's degree in computer science. This typically takes 5 years to complete and allows for a deeper understanding of the subject. A BS in CE/CS (combined major) is a program that combines computer engineering and computer science, allowing students to gain knowledge in both fields and apply it to various industries.

2. How long does it take to complete a BS/MS in CS or BS in CE/CS (combined major)?

The length of these programs can vary, but typically a BS/MS in CS takes 5 years to complete and a BS in CE/CS (combined major) takes 4-5 years. This may also depend on the individual's course load and if they choose to take summer classes.

3. What career opportunities are available with a BS/MS in CS or BS in CE/CS (combined major)?

With a BS/MS in CS, individuals can pursue careers in various fields such as software engineering, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. A BS in CE/CS (combined major) can lead to opportunities in areas such as computer hardware design, embedded systems, and robotics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math for these programs?

While a strong background in math can be beneficial for these programs, it is not always necessary. Many universities offer introductory math courses for students who may not have a strong background in the subject. However, it is important to have a solid foundation in math as it is a fundamental aspect of computer science and computer engineering.

5. Can I switch between a BS/MS in CS and a BS in CE/CS (combined major) during my studies?

It is possible to switch between these programs during your studies, but it may require additional coursework or time. It is important to consult with an academic advisor if you are considering switching programs to ensure that you meet all requirements and make a smooth transition.