1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BS tables of properties for universal beams

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1
    Hi I am a HNC student an am having trouble with this question below...

A universal I section beam is simply supported at each end and must withstand concentrated shear force of 240kN vertically downwards.
    if the maximum allowable shear stress in the beam is to be 65MkN/m^2 determine the suitable section for a beam using the BS tables of properties for universal beams.
    ignore the mass of the beam.

work be greatly appreciated for any help

-Gclark

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

According to the forum rules, you need to show some work of your own first, then we can see where you might best be helped.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #3
    I have the BS tables just need the formulas. i just have some basic knowledge and am looking for some advice.

thanks.

5. Jun 5, 2014 #4
    When you say "concentrated shear force", do you mean "concentrated force? When you say "65MkN/m^2", do you mean "65 MN/m^2" or "65 kN/m^2" ? Tell us more what you can say about this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted