Bubble Game Collision: Calculating Deceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a bubble and a bundle of bubbles. The collision is unusual due to the lack of dynamic friction and the springiness of the bubbles. The resulting total bundle cannot translate but can rotate. The question is raised about the deceleration and the use of F=ma and momentum to calculate it. The conversation also mentions the use of conservation of energy and provides real-world applications, such as a computer game and a free rotating plate.
cloa513
Suppose a bubble with some small mass and constant velocity hits a bundle of "bubbles"- the collision is unusual- there is no dynamic friction but the point of contact sticks- they are springy so both compress by a third before returning to their former shape. The new total bundle can't translate but can rotate. What's the deceleration? so I can F=ma and take tangential component to calculate Ft and Torque so that T=Iw.

Physics news on Phys.org
you'd just have to use the momentum of the first bubble then it's a transfer of momentum for a collision. As long as they don't pop (and accounting for air resistance), the bubbles are pretty much just shells, which collide about the same as spheres

So should I take it as
Δω=m/M*(vt/ d)
Δω change in angular velocity
m mass of bubble
M of bubble
vt tangential velocity of colliding bubble
d distance from fixing point (which may or may not the centre of the bundle).

Its my computer game- I don't understand or trust the physics engine and I'd like it to be physically reasonable.

That seems like it should work, you should also be able to use conservation of energy

Energy is not conserved for the system. It can't translate because either there is out of plane fixing device or it can induce powerful wind currents to keep it in position. A similar real world application could be a free rotating plate- its fixed to ground- it get hit with all sort of powerful particles (say its in the explosion zone of a mine) and you want to know will it spin too much and break itself. Another one is a harrier jet or helicopter hovering- how much rotation will it get if you effectively autocounteract the translation but not the rotation and will it be effective in certain conditions.

FAQ: Bubble Game Collision: Calculating Deceleration

1. How do you calculate deceleration in the bubble game collision?

Deceleration in the bubble game collision can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the collision to occur. This can be expressed as: deceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

2. What factors affect the deceleration in a bubble game collision?

The deceleration in a bubble game collision can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bubbles involved, the type of surface they are colliding with, and any external forces acting on the bubbles.

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate deceleration for different bubble sizes?

Yes, the formula for calculating deceleration in the bubble game collision can be used for different bubble sizes. However, it is important to note that the mass and velocity of the bubbles should be taken into account when using the formula.

4. How does deceleration affect the outcome of the bubble game collision?

Deceleration plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a bubble game collision. A higher deceleration can result in a more forceful collision, potentially causing bubbles to burst. On the other hand, a lower deceleration can result in a softer collision, allowing the bubbles to merge and form larger bubbles.

5. Is there a relationship between deceleration and energy in a bubble game collision?

Yes, there is a relationship between deceleration and energy in a bubble game collision. As the bubbles decelerate during a collision, their kinetic energy decreases. This energy is then converted into other forms, such as sound or heat. The amount of energy transferred during a collision can be calculated using the formula: energy = 0.5 x mass x (final velocity)^2.