1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buckingham Pi / Dimensional analysis

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capillary filled with water is placed in a container filled with a chemical of concentration [itex] C_{0} [/itex], measured in number of molecules per unit volume. The chemical diffuses into the capillary of water according to the following relation (where x is distance along capillary):

[itex] \frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = D \frac{\partial^{2}C}{\partial x^{2}} ~~~~ C(0,t) = C_{0} ~,~ C(x,0)=0 [/itex]

a) Find dimensions of diffusion coefficient D
    b) For capillary with cross sectional area A, the number of molecules entering the capillary N in a fixed time T is measured. We can assume that there is a law relating the 5 quantities [itex] D, C_{0}, N, T, A [/itex]. Use dimensional analysis to find the general form of this law.
    c) If experiments show that [itex] N [/itex] is proportional to [itex] \sqrt{T} [/itex], then give the simplest law which expresses N as a function of the 4 other quantities.

2. Relevant equations

Buckingham Pi theorem says that the law will have the form [itex] F(\pi_{1},\pi_{2},...) = 0 [/itex] where the [itex] \pi_{i} [/itex] are dimensionless quantities created using the 5 given physical quantities.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I calculate the dimensions of D to be L2/T

b) I calculate my dimensionless quantities as:

[itex]

\pi_{1} = N \\

\pi_{2} = A^{3}C_{0}^{2} \\

\pi_{3} = \frac{T D}{A}

[/itex]

c) This is the part I'm not sure of. What does it mean by the 'simplest' law? From the buckingham Pi theorem I get that:

[itex] N = g( A^{3}C_{0}^{2},\frac{TD}{A} ) [/itex]

Where g is some unknown function.

But I'm not sure what to do with the fact that N varies with the square root of T. Can I take that term out and say:

[itex] N = \sqrt{\frac{TD}{A}} f(A^{3}C_{0}^{2}) [/itex]

This doesn't seem right/complete to me but I can't think of anything else.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you can do this. If ##f## would depend on ##\pi_3##, then ##N## would not vary as ##\sqrt{T}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted