Building a Homopolar Generator: Step-by-Step Tutorial

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around the speaker's struggle to find resources and guidance for building a homopolar generator. They have searched online and read about it, but are still lacking practical knowledge and a simple building plan. Some suggestions are given, such as reading the Feynman Lectures on Physics, but the speaker is still in need of assistance. They also mention wanting to build a Fusor and express their difficulty in teaching themselves. The conversation ends with a request for a simple building plan and a hope for someone to help them out.
Doctor H.B
Let's begin.

I have been assigned to build a homopolar generator, but I really don't know where to start. I searched the net for some info, but I couldn't find anything useful (for me). I tried to read and understand the wiki-page about this faraday disc, but it's kind of hard to understand. Anyway, the understanding-part isn't that big of a deal (I will eventually understand all of it), but the lack of practical knowledge is preventing me from making some progression. I searched for some sort of tutorial, but I couldn't find a simple, understandable one.
Can somebody help me out here by describing each and every step? I'd really appreciate it.

Science news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I'm a theorist, so of little help for building such a device. If you want to learn the basics, in my opinion the best book available are the Feynman Lectures on Physics, vol. II. There it's explained from the basic law of electromagnetic forces on charges, how homopolar induction comes to work.

You're kind of asking for a lot. Which basics don't you know? The theories and such on how it works, or the actual building of the device?

Drakkith said:
You're kind of asking for a lot. Which basics don't you know? The theories and such on how it works, or the actual building of the device?

The actual building of the generator.

vanhees71 said:
I'm a theorist, so of little help for building such a device. If you want to learn the basics, in my opinion the best book available are the Feynman Lectures on Physics, vol. II. There it's explained from the basic law of electromagnetic forces on charges, how homopolar induction comes to work.

The theoretical part isn't really a problem. I just have to "refresh" my knowledge. The main thing I'm looking for now is some kind of building plan.

Doctor H.B said:
The actual building of the generator.

I'm in a similar problem with trying to build a Fusor. I just don't have any of the required basic skills to do it. That and I'm horrible at teaching myself.

Drakkith said:
I'm in a similar problem with trying to build a Fusor. I just don't have any of the required basic skills to do it. That and I'm horrible at teaching myself.

Let's hope somebody can help us out!

I know you're all watching.

Doctor H.B said:
The theoretical part isn't really a problem. I just have to "refresh" my knowledge. The main thing I'm looking for now is some kind of building plan.

This looks simple enough to demonstrate the principle behind the homopolar generator (also known as Faraday's disk).

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody have some kind of simple building plan?

Have you still come up empty with regard to a building plan?

Related to Building a Homopolar Generator: Step-by-Step Tutorial

1. What is a homopolar generator?

A homopolar generator is a type of electrical generator that uses a rotating magnetic field to produce an electrical current. It is unique in that it only has one moving part, the rotating disc, and does not require any slip rings or brushes.

2. What materials do I need to build a homopolar generator?

To build a homopolar generator, you will need a strong neodymium magnet, copper wire, a battery, and a metal disc or cylinder. You may also need a drill, pliers, and wire cutters to help with the construction process.

3. How do I assemble the homopolar generator?

To assemble the homopolar generator, start by drilling a hole in the center of the metal disc or cylinder. Then, wrap the copper wire around the disc, leaving a few inches of wire on each end. Next, attach the magnet to one end of the disc and the battery to the other end. Finally, rotate the disc to generate an electrical current.

4. How does a homopolar generator work?

A homopolar generator works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. As the disc rotates, the magnetic field created by the magnet passes through the wire, creating an electrical current. This current flows from the battery, through the wire, and back to the magnet, completing the circuit.

5. What can I use a homopolar generator for?

A homopolar generator is typically used for educational purposes, to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and electrical generation. It can also be used as a power source for small devices, such as LED lights or small motors. However, it is not a practical source of energy for larger devices due to its low power output.