Building a sensor and making measurements

In summary, the conversation is about building a sensor for a project. The person is seeking ideas for a good sensor to build and is directed to a resource that has a list of circuit diagrams for sensors. They are also given advice on getting the necessary elements for the circuit and are reminded that they are a beginner in this area.
alex_boothby
Hey for a project, i have to build a sensor of any sort, and then make loads of measurements to see how accurate it is ect, what do you think would be a good sensor to build. it needs to be complex but not extreme! i am in 6th form takes A.s physics! any ideas would be greatfull.

thanks alex!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a great resource:

http://www.discovercircuits.com

Click on "Schematics" (menu bar near the top) and you will see an alphebetized list of circuit diagrams. There are many entries under "S: Sensors".

Start by thumbing through those, and feel free to let us know which one you've chosen and if you need more help.

how would i go about making one of these circuits, I am what you might say a newbee lol, please help!

thankyou

alex_boothby said:
how would i go about making one of these circuits,

Well obviously you will need to get the circuit elements, the wires, a power supply, and a breadboard, right?

I am what you might say a newbee lol, please help!
thankyou

Then why did you put this in Advanced Physics?

I'm moving it to Introductory Physics...

1. What is a sensor and how does it work?

A sensor is a device that detects and responds to a physical stimulus, such as light, temperature, or pressure, and converts it into an electrical signal. It typically consists of a sensing element, which detects the stimulus, and a transducer, which converts the signal into an electrical output.

2. How do you choose the right sensor for a specific measurement?

Choosing the right sensor depends on several factors, including the type of measurement needed, the range and accuracy required, the environmental conditions, and the cost. It is important to thoroughly research and compare different sensor options to determine which one best fits the specific measurement needs.

3. What are the most common methods for making measurements with a sensor?

The most common methods for making measurements with a sensor include direct measurement, where the sensor is directly connected to the object being measured, and remote measurement, where the sensor detects the stimulus from a distance. Other methods include contact measurement, where the sensor physically touches the object, and non-contact measurement, where the sensor uses waves or radiation to detect the stimulus.

4. How do you calibrate a sensor?

Calibration is the process of adjusting a sensor to ensure accurate and precise measurements. It involves comparing the sensor's output to a known standard and making necessary adjustments. Different sensors may require different calibration methods, but common techniques include zeroing, scaling, and span adjustments.

5. What are some common challenges when building a sensor and making measurements?

Some common challenges when building a sensor and making measurements include ensuring accuracy and precision, dealing with noise and interference, selecting the appropriate sensor for the measurement, and accounting for environmental factors that may affect the sensor's performance. It is also important to properly calibrate and maintain the sensor to ensure reliable and consistent measurements.