Building Marx Generators - Tips & Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker has experience building Marx generators and is seeking advice on how to decrease the duration of the discharge. They are currently building a new one with a sealed unit and PE-based capacitors. The stored energy will be around 10J and the speaker plans to use UV radiation to fire it. They will provide more information and caution against others trying to replicate their work.
lilrex
I have built a number of Marx generators ranging for 30KV to 4MV I have achieved good rise time but I was wondering if anyone else here had experience with them and could help me with decreasing the duration. I mainly need just building tips and such.

My current one I am building will be in a sealed unit. With an outer can of aluminum and a discharge electrode coaxially located at the end. The capacitors will be stacked in the center space, with the spark gaps located along the center of the capacitors. I have tried to eliminate as much inductance as I can think of. The caps are PE based. Initially charged to 25KV with 30 stages it should achieve 750KV and will be fired with UV radiation. I need as short of a discharge as possible. The stored energy would be about 10J.

I know my descriptions are obscure and I will add pictures and diagrams soon.

Any help would be good. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, that's not enough information for us to be helpful.

Be careful. 10J in the megavolt range can be a major safety hazard. That's another reason not to discuss it here on a public forum. We would not want less qualified people to try to duplicate your feats based on a few crumbs of information on the Internet.

1. What is a Marx generator?

A Marx generator is a type of high-voltage pulse generator that uses a series of capacitors and spark gaps to produce a high-voltage, high-current discharge. It is commonly used in research and industrial applications, such as in particle accelerators and high-power lasers.

2. How does a Marx generator work?

A Marx generator works by charging a series of capacitors in parallel, and then discharging them in series through a spark gap. This results in a rapid increase in voltage, creating a high-voltage pulse that can be used for various applications.

3. What materials are needed to build a Marx generator?

To build a Marx generator, you will need high-voltage capacitors, spark gaps, high-voltage resistors, and a power supply. You may also need other materials such as insulating materials, wires, and connectors, depending on the specific design of your Marx generator.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a Marx generator?

Yes, building a Marx generator can be dangerous, as it involves working with high voltages. It is important to take proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling the components with caution. It is also recommended to have a thorough understanding of electrical circuits and to follow safety guidelines and regulations.

5. What are some tips for building a reliable and efficient Marx generator?

To build a reliable and efficient Marx generator, it is important to carefully select high-quality components and to design the circuit with proper consideration for voltage and current ratings. It is also important to ensure proper insulation and to minimize parasitic capacitance and resistance. Additionally, testing and adjusting the circuit to achieve optimal performance is crucial.