Is a inverter the same as a transformer or marx generator?

In summary: I think the schematic is helpful in understanding how the inverter works, but it's just a representation of the actual physical components.In summary, an inverter is a transformer that turns DC into AC. It is used to convert the power from a solar panel into the required AC voltage for an appliance.
bmxrider2012
so i was looking up solar inverters (for solar panel setup) and i saw this picture
and i thought it looked kinda the same how the marx generator is setup with a bunch of capacitors
and on the schematic it looks like a transformer ... are these three similar in anyway? or do they use some of the same technology?
[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Solar panels generate DC. Households are typically set up to run with AC. It is the job of the inverter to change the DC into the specified AC required. As your photo illustrates, an inverter is a lot more than merely a passive transformer, though it almost certainly will include a transformer and some inductors to help it accomplish the task efficiently and safely.

As for the marx generator, that sounds very ... political.

NascentOxygen said:
As for the marx generator, that sounds very ... political.

lol why do you say it sounds political?

heres a picture of one

you can see its just a bunch of caps all next to each other that's why i was wondering if all the caps in the inverter are doing the same thing as the marx generator
marx-generator-radu-motisan-1.jpg

In the voltage multiplier circuit shown, the capacitors form the heart of the step-up process, it's a low current load and no one is demanding a particular waveshape. In a DC-AC inverter, a switching arrangement around a transformer is needed, to produce a waveshape approximately sinusoidal at. the high currents involved.

bmxrider2012 said:
lol why do you say it sounds political?

heres a picture of one

you can see its just a bunch of caps all next to each other that's why i was wondering if all the caps in the inverter are doing the same thing as the marx generator

A Marx generator (also a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier) is a way to produce very high volts from an (already high voltage) AC source but it is not for high power and is not efficient. An inverter will produce high voltages from a DC source and can be highly efficient. An inverter uses an oscillator to drive a step up transformer. Much more suitable for any purpose other than just "making sparks" these days, I think. Though, in the early days, it was sometimes the only way to obtain high energy particle beams.

BTW, the 'political' bit was the reference to Karl Marx, I think. (Nascent Oxygen just can't help himself sometimes :wink:.)

Last edited:
You mention the schematic - it would be easier / better to ask about the elements in the schematic - the capacitors for example probably sit on both the Solar ( DC ) Side and the Grid/Load ( AC) side of the inverter circuit for both filtering and proper clean sine wave inverter operation. There probbable is not a tranformer in the actual power circuit, but they may be there for control power and sensing - etc.

1. Is an inverter the same as a transformer?

No, an inverter and a transformer are two different devices that serve different functions. An inverter is a device that converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC), while a transformer is used to change the voltage of an AC current.

2. Is an inverter the same as a Marx generator?

No, an inverter and a Marx generator are also two distinct devices. An inverter converts DC to AC, while a Marx generator is a high-voltage pulse generator used for experiments and industrial applications.

3. Can an inverter be used as a transformer?

Technically, yes. An inverter can be used to transform the voltage of an AC current, but it is not its primary function. Inverters are designed for converting DC to AC, while transformers are specifically designed for voltage transformation.

4. Is a Marx generator the same as a transformer?

No, a Marx generator is not the same as a transformer. A Marx generator is designed to generate high-voltage pulses, while a transformer is used to transform the voltage of an AC current. However, a Marx generator may use a transformer as part of its circuit to step up the voltage.

5. Do inverters and Marx generators serve similar purposes?

No, inverters and Marx generators serve different purposes. Inverters are used for converting DC to AC, while Marx generators are used for generating high-voltage pulses. However, they may be used in some similar applications, such as powering electronic devices or experimental research.