Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bundle and differential manifold

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hello : let be a differential manifold [tex]C^{\infty}[/tex] : [tex]M[/tex] of dimension n.
    I choose a point p.

In this point I can defined the tangent space. It's a vectoirial space of dimension n, I'll talk about it in a precedent thread, .
    This space is in bijection with the derivation space : each derivation associated a real to each fonction [tex]C^{\infty}[/tex] define on a neighbourhood of p.
    Each derivator is a directionnal derivate.

I defined the tangent bundle as : [tex]TM = \cup_{p \in M} (\{p\} \times T_{p}M)[/tex]. I wanna demonstrate that this space is a differential [tex]C^{+\infty}[/tex] manifold of dimension 2n.

I beginn to define a topology on this space. Let [tex](U, \phi)[/tex] et [tex](V, \psi)[/tex] 2 charts, which are compatible [tex]C^{\infty}[/tex] and [tex]U \cap V \neq \varnothing[/tex]. I defined an open as [tex]\pi^{-1}(U) = \{ \{p\} \times T_{p}M / p \in U \}[/tex].

Like all the open define a topology which recover M, all the open I defined with my [tex]\pi^{-1}[/tex] on [tex]TM[/tex] defined a topology which recover [tex]TM[/tex].

Now I defined the same things on [tex](V, \psi)[/tex].

Now lets go back to [tex](U, \phi)[/tex] : I defined :
    [tex] \Phi : \begin{pmatrix} \pi^{-1}(U) \rightarrow \phi(U) \times \mathbb{R}^{n} \subset \mathbb{R}^{2n} \\ (p, X_{p}) \rightarrow (\phi(p), d_{\phi(p)}(X_{p})) \end{pmatrix} [/tex].

I recall that [tex]d_{\phi(p)}[/tex] associated to each vectors of [tex]T_{p}M[/tex] a vectors from [tex]T_{\phi(p)}\mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex]. Like [tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^{n}, T_{x}\mathbb{R}^{n} \simeq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex], I can identified [tex]d_{\phi(p)}(X_{p})[/tex] to an elements of [tex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/tex]. With this natural components in the natural base.

I do the same things by defining [tex]\Psi[/tex].
    And [tex](U, \phi)[/tex] et [tex](V, \psi)[/tex] are arbitrarlly choose.

So 2 question how to demonstrate that [tex]\Phi[/tex] is an homeomorphism please?

How to demosntrate that [tex]\Psi o \Phi^{-1}[/tex] is a [tex]C^{\infty}[/tex] diffeomorphisme please?

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon:biggrin:.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

On ne doit qu'observer que la dérivée d'une fonction ##C^∞## est ##C^∞## elle-même( par définition de ##C^∞##) est que la dérivée d'une fonction de transition est un isomorphism lineare de l'espace tangente a chaque point.

Essayez de montrer que l'espace euclidien est une variété ##C^∞##.

Bonne journée.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    Salut Lavina. Merci à vous. First by the way : you could replace all the [tex]+\infty[/tex] by [tex]k[/tex].

I'm gonna wright : [tex]\Psi o \Phi^{-1}(\phi(p), d_{\phi(p)}(X_{p}) )= (\psi o \phi^{-1}(p) , d_{\psi(p)} o d_{\phi(p)}^{-1}(X_{p}))[/tex] and I've got : [tex]\Phi(p, X_{p}) = (\phi(p), d_{\phi(p)}(X_{p})[/tex].
    I know that [tex]\phi[/tex] like [tex]\psi[/tex] are homeomorphism. And that [tex]\psi o \phi^{-1}[/tex] is [tex]C^{+\infty}[/tex] because of the [tex]C^{+\infty}[/tex] differential manifold structure.

So for the first par of the 2 uplets it's done.

What about [tex]d_{\psi(p)} o d_{\phi(p)}^{-1}[/tex] is it an diffeormorphism [tex]C^{+\infty}[/tex] please?

And about [tex]d_{\phi(p)}[/tex], is it an homeomorphism please?

5. Jan 29, 2015 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor

No. The derivative of a k times differentiable function might only be (k-1) times differentiable. There are examples of continuously differentiable functions whose derivative is nowhere differentiable.

As I said before, the differential of a ##C^∞## diffemomorphism is a ##C^∞## diffeomorphism.

- The differential of a smooth diffeomorphism is a diffeomorphism because it is smooth and invertible.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. Feb 8, 2015 #5
    Hello I wright for the probleme I demonstrate my charts is an homeomorphisme, it's continue and a bijection. The reverse fonction is also a continue bijection. I juste have to demonstrate now that my charts changing [tex]\Psi o \Phi^{-1}[/tex] is a [tex]C^{k-1}[/tex] diffeomorphism if my manifold is [tex]C^{k}[/tex]. How could I do please?

7. Feb 8, 2015 #6
    How to demonstrate it please? And

8. Feb 8, 2015 #7

lavinia

Science Advisor

Calabi. Here are some questions that may help you.

- The differential of a diffeomorphism is a map between tangent spaces. This map is linear and is an isomorphism. Why?
    - A smooth map is infinitely differentiable. What is the definition of infinitely differentiable for a multi-variable function?
    - A smooth diffeomorphism by definition has a smooth inverse. What does this mean about the differential?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook