Is a 15kg object capable of generating 147N upward force in water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of buoyancy and a target upward force of 147N for a project product. The use of mass density and volume of water in the calculation of buoyancy is mentioned, as well as the need for the total force to be zero when an object is floating. The appropriateness of a target buoyancy of 147N is also questioned and the speaker mentions their experience in designing buoyant systems for seawater.
malek340
I believe that the way to calculate buoyancy is buoyancy force-weight of object= upward force, which is PVg-mg= upward force. If I'm wrong please tell me. I set a target of 147N(15kg) upward force for my project product. Is it that strong? Give me your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maths looks right.

15kG is about the weight of two Bowling balls.

If your "P" is the mass density of water and V is the volume of water of that part of the object below water, then, yes, the bouyancy force is PVg. The total force would be that minus the weight, mg. When the object is "floating", the two must cancel so that the total force is 0, neither up nor down.

As for a target bouyancy of 147 N, what is your question about it? For an icecube that would be much to high. For an ocean liner, it would be much too low!

I've designed many many buoyant systems for seawater. If figure volume in cubic feet and multiply by 60 lbf per cubic foot. The water is a little heavier than that, but I like the margins in case my material absorbs a little water.

Your understanding of the equation for calculating buoyancy force is correct. However, it is important to note that the buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the displaced water, not the weight of the object itself. This means that the buoyancy force will vary depending on the density of the object and the density of the water it is submerged in.

As for your target of 147N upward force for your project product, it is difficult for me to determine if that is a strong force without knowing more about the object and its intended use. I would suggest conducting experiments or simulations to test the buoyancy of your project product in different types of water (e.g. freshwater vs. saltwater) and under different conditions (e.g. fully submerged vs. partially submerged). This will give you a better understanding of how your product will behave in different scenarios.

1. What is the definition of buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid, such as water, on an object immersed in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How is buoyancy calculated?

Buoyancy is calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be represented by the equation FB = ρVg, where FB is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the buoyancy of an object in water?

The buoyancy of an object in water is affected by its density, volume, and the density of the surrounding fluid. If the object is less dense than water, it will float; if it is more dense, it will sink. Additionally, increasing the volume of the object or decreasing the density of the fluid will increase its buoyancy.

4. What is the difference between buoyancy and weight?

Buoyancy and weight are both forces that act on an object, but they have different effects. Weight is the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the Earth, while buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object. Weight is a constant force, while buoyancy can change depending on the density and volume of the object and the density of the fluid.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy in water?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy in water because it can change the volume and density of the object. For example, a hollow object will have greater buoyancy than a solid object of the same weight and material. Additionally, objects with a wider base or a concave shape will have greater stability and therefore, greater buoyancy.