Buoyant force and ambient air pressure

In summary: Only with the air pipe will the net force upward (500N up minus (300N + 50N) = 150 N --- would be able to push the water up and out leaving the empty space?
gloo
I wanted to inquire as to a thought I have on a situation with buoyancy and air pressure.

In the first slide (slide 1), I am showing a situation where a buoyant object is pushing up on a support wall through a fixed wall that has water in it. Here are the factors:

1. The net buoyant force of the hollow object is 500 N (pushing upward)
2. The support structure is 300N in weight (purple)
3. The support structure is flush up against the inside of the horizontal walls and do not allow passage of water down
4. The friction is 50N (walls against the support structure horizontal wall; the vertical pole through the bottom fixed wall (grey)

My query is... would this buoyant push from the water below be able to push the water up and out to spill over the sides and back into the main body of water leaving the area below empty with just air? I was thinking it would not need the air pipe to allow air to come in and equalize the air pressure since the air is also pushing down on all the water? But I am wrong? I believe that only with the air pipe will the net force upward (500N up minus (300N + 50N) = 150 N --- would be able to push the water up and out leaving the empty space?

upload_2016-6-17_13-18-39.png

upload_2016-6-17_13-19-31.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see it clearer if you put the setup in a tank... what happens is the overall height of the water increases.
Then you can use conservation of energy to work out what's possible.

Simon Bridge said:
You can see it clearer if you put the setup in a tank... what happens is the overall height of the water increases.
Then you can use conservation of energy to work out what's possible.
I guess I didn't clarify...but if you look a little more closely, the water will fall back into the body of water because the walls are beneath the surface of the water. I am guessing you mean if the walls were much taller it would raise the water upward?

No - I mean the main body of the water ... assume it is in a tank that has walls that are not pictured.
The small tank on top of the support I get is under water ...

Raising a submerged but buoyant object volume V through height h through water (w) makes energy ##\rho_{w}Vgh## available to do work.
You have a massive piston - so some work is done to lift that.
The water in the small tank where the top of the piston is, that has to be raised enough to reach the top of the tank ... but after that it contributes to the overall height of the main body of water which must be in a container of some kind ... even if that container is the sides of the ocean on a planet or whatever.

You may want to say that the main body of water is so large that the water makes a negligible increase in height ... OK.
But that could be where funny results can come from later.

You may prefer a model where the bottom of the piston is in one tank of water and the top in another ... and the water displaced from the top tank is just lost.
What I am doing is trying to provide you with models to help you work out what is going on.

Likes gloo
Simon Bridge said:
No - I mean the main body of the water ... assume it is in a tank that has walls that are not pictured.
The small tank on top of the support I get is under water ...

Raising a submerged but buoyant object volume V through height h through water (w) makes energy ##\rho_{w}Vgh## available to do work.
You have a massive piston - so some work is done to lift that.
The water in the small tank where the top of the piston is, that has to be raised enough to reach the top of the tank ... but after that it contributes to the overall height of the main body of water which must be in a container of some kind ... even if that container is the sides of the ocean on a planet or whatever.

You may want to say that the main body of water is so large that the water makes a negligible increase in height ... OK.
But that could be where funny results can come from later.

You may prefer a model where the bottom of the piston is in one tank of water and the top in another ... and the water displaced from the top tank is just lost.
What I am doing is trying to provide you with models to help you work out what is going on.

Thanks for the input -- my main query is that :

1. Water is raised up in the small tank
2. Air is replaced below? Without the air pipe...it probably a lot more work because of the air pressure above?

Re the first drawing...Without the air pipe the buoyancy force has to create a vacuum in the top container - so it would have to overcome the head of water in the top container plus atmospheric pressure.

With the air pipe just the head of water.

Likes gloo and Simon Bridge
CWatters said:
Re the first drawing...Without the air pipe the buoyancy force has to create a vacuum in the top container - so it would have to overcome the head of water in the top container plus atmospheric pressure.

CWatters said:

So I am a little confused still on what the buoyant force can do. I know there is a buoyant force pushing up on the water in the container. With these following numbers :

Net buoyant force of the hollow object (including weight of materials = 1000N
Weight of purple structure = 200 N
Friction = 20N
Force of water above in container = 4000 N

Can the buoyant force lift up only the volume of water equal to itself (i.e. the volume of empty space )? Or it can't lift any of the water up because the weight of the water is much greater?

upload_2016-6-20_20-8-0.png

When an object is immersed in water, there is an upwards force on it equal to the weight (mg) of the water displaced.
There will also be downwards forces on it - like the weight of whatever the immersed object is made of and the weight of whatever the immersed object is supposed to support.

In your example (above) you have 4200N down and only 1000N up - so, even without friction, the net force is downwards, so float B will sink under the weight.

Likes CWatters

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water or air) on an object immersed in it. This force is a result of the difference in pressure between the bottom and top of the object, and it is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

How does ambient air pressure affect buoyant force?

The ambient air pressure, or the pressure of the air surrounding an object, affects buoyant force by determining the density of the air. As the air pressure increases, the density of the air also increases, which leads to an increase in buoyant force. This is because the more dense the air, the more weight it can support and the greater the buoyant force it exerts on the object.

What is the relationship between buoyant force and the weight of an object?

Buoyant force and the weight of an object have an inverse relationship. This means that as the weight of an object increases, the buoyant force acting on it decreases. This is because the object becomes more dense and displaces less fluid, resulting in a decrease in the upward force exerted by the fluid.

How does the shape of an object affect buoyant force?

The shape of an object does not directly affect the buoyant force acting on it. However, the shape of an object can indirectly affect buoyant force by determining the amount of fluid it displaces. Objects with a larger surface area tend to displace more fluid and therefore experience a greater buoyant force.

Can buoyant force act on objects in air?

Yes, buoyant force can act on objects in air, as long as the object is less dense than the surrounding air. This is commonly seen with hot air balloons, where the hot air inside the balloon is less dense than the cooler air outside, causing the balloon to rise due to the upward buoyant force. However, in most cases, the buoyant force of air is much weaker compared to that of water, as air is less dense than water.