News Bush in Baghdad - 2 Shoes, Size 10

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
W

WarPhalange

Yes, and nobody smelled a second shoe being thrown, which suggest that the second thrower had to be far away.

There had to be a second shoe thrower. No one could possibly throw two shoes with that kind of accuracy in that short a time period. Besides, are you going to tell me that a single shoe could have hit both Bush and al-Maliki and land practically undamaged on the floor?
there are conflicting reports of a shoe seen flung from the Sandy Knoll

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
There had to be a second shoe thrower. No one could possibly throw two shoes with that kind of accuracy in that short a time period. Besides, are you going to tell me that a single shoe could have hit both Bush and al-Maliki and land practically undamaged on the floor?
Apparently it was bring filmed by some guy named Abe Zapruder and it seems that there was only one hurler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMDdSxomcU

A

Art

Here's the video of the incident,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7782422.stm

It seems it was a personal protest against Bush as a person rather than a protest against America as a whole. The journalist who threw the shoes called Bush a dog (a little unfair on canines imo). Throwing shoes in Iraq is probably the Iraqi cultural equivalent of sticking up two fingers in the West. A comparison Bush himself made immediately afterwards.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl:^2

That post floored me, jimmy!!!

Apparently it was bring filmed by some guy named Abe Zapruder and it seems that there was only one hurler.

Like I said, put that scumb bag on IED detail. That's just uncalled for.

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
How about a compromise?

Let's give Cheney the job.

A

Art

An expression of contempt for a contemptible man seems pretty apt to me.

If anyone it is Bush who should be sent on IED patrol so he can witness first hand the fruits of his stupidity.

An expression of contempt for a contemptible man seems pretty apt to me.

If anyone it is Bush who should be sent on IED patrol so he can witness first hand the fruits of his stupidity.
No, Art. A journalist does not go around trying to harm heads of state. There is no excuse for what he did. NONE. NOT ONE. NONE.

The same way there is no excuse for the way the president of columbia U opened for the president of Iran.

I'm sure it would seem apt to you, because you constantly berate America. I wouldn't expect you to care.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Second thrower theory aside...where WAS the Secret Service? I hope they give Obama better protection. The projectiles aimed at him might be bullets, not shoes.

BTW, Bush did a nice duck of that first shoe! You can tell he's played a bit of baseball in his day. He definately has experience with the bean ball.

A

Art

No, Art. A journalist does not go around trying to harm heads of state. There is no excuse for what he did. NONE. NOT ONE. NONE.
On the other hand Cyrus heads of state should not invade other people's countries killing 1000s of their citizens in the process and then expect a warm welcome. There is no excuse for what Bush did NONE. NOT ONE. NONE.

W

WarPhalange

If you look real closely you can see Bush has a smirk on his face right as the shoe is flying at him. Maybe it gave him a flashback to his school days playing dodgeball in PE?

A

Art

If you look real closely you can see Bush has a smirk on his face right as the shoe is flying at him. Maybe it gave him a flashback to his school days playing dodgeball in PE?
I suspect Bush was the sort of kid who had lots of practice dodging things thrown at him :biggrin:

On the other hand Cyrus heads of state should not invade other people's countries killing 1000s of their citizens in the process and then expect a warm welcome. There is no excuse for what Bush did NONE. NOT ONE. NONE.
Art, that does not excuse the journalist from trying to assult a head of state.

The fact that you would defend this guy throwing his shoes at the president is telling.

W

WarPhalange

Oh my god, it's a damn shoe. It had absolutely no chance of killing or even maiming him. A lucky hit would have given him a bloody nose or a bruised eye. And you want to kill the guy in return. What is the big deal with the shoe? Why does the president get some divine anti-shoe status? I thought "All men were created equal"?

WarPhalange, does it elude you that there are certain lines you don't cross when you are a professional reporter? - I think it must. If he were in the united states he could be thrown in jail. My comments about putting him on IED detail were tongue in cheek - that should have been obvious to everyone.

W

WarPhalange

WarPhalange, does it elude you that there are certain lines you don't cross when you are a professional reporter?
Do you think he is going to be a reporter after this? No, he will get fired. Because he crossed the line. Where's the problem?

If he were in the united states he could be thrown in jail.
I know, thank god for democracy, because he won't get that kind of mercy over there. He's probably on a flight to Guantanamo already.

My comments about putting him on IED detail were tongue in cheek - that should have been obvious to everyone.
Sorry, it wasn't to me. You repeated it a few times and called him an MFer. That implies some kind of seriousness.

Do you think he is going to be a reporter after this? No, he will get fired. Because he crossed the line. Where's the problem?
What does it matter what I think will happen to him after this. It is irrelevant. How do you know he will get fired, are you his boss? Do you know his boss? Please stop making statements as if they were fact.

The problem is you making statements like "Why does the president get some divine anti-shoe status" which implies its no big deal about what the reporter did. It is a very big deal. It's highly disrespectful, and unprofessional and it undermines why the president is there to help the people of Iraq.

I know, thank god for democracy, because he won't get that kind of mercy over there. He's probably on a flight to Guantanamo already.
This is simply your opinion, and as such carries no factual accuracy.

Sorry, it wasn't to me. You repeated it a few times and called him an MFer. That implies some kind of seriousness.
I was serious that he is an MFer.

W

WarPhalange

What does it matter what I think will happen to him after this. It is irrelevant. How do you know he will get fired, are you his boss? Do you know his boss? Please stop making statements as if they were fact.
Why would you doubt that he will be fired? He disgraced himself on international TV. I can't imagine a real news station that would keep him around after that.

The problem is you making statements like "Why does the president get some divine anti-shoe status" which implies its no big deal about what the reporter did.
He threw shoes. They weren't nuclear shoes, they weren't laser shoes, or even a pair of cleats. Last I checked that's something you get sent to detention for or possibly suspended for a few days if you actually hit someone.

To summarize:

It is a very big deal.
This is simply your opinion, and as such carries no factual accuracy. In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that this will start some weird cold-war within a real war situation.

It's highly disrespectful, and unprofessional and it undermines why the president is there to help the people of Iraq.
I agree with the first two parts. It is highly disrespectful. That was his point. He wasn't trying to show Bush how much he liked him by throwing a shoe at him. Come on.

And it was unprofessional, yes. I ain't never seen no reporter throw a shoe before and it's not what's expected from them.

But it doesn't undermine anything. Only the president undermines why the president is there to help the people of Iraq.

This is simply your opinion, and as such carries no factual accuracy.
True. I find it highly unlikely he won't get punished, though.

I was serious that he is an MFer.
Okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you doubt that he will be fired? He disgraced himself on international TV. I can't imagine a real news station that would keep him around after that.
What kind of news station would hire him to begin with?

He threw shoes. They weren't nuclear shoes, they weren't laser shoes, or even a pair of cleats. Last I checked that's something you get sent to detention for or possibly suspended for a few days if you actually hit someone.
Detention or suspended? Are you in high school?

This is simply your opinion, and as such carries no factual accuracy. In my opinion, I find it hard to believe that this will start some weird cold-war within a real war situation.
What I stated was not an opnion. In middle eastern culture throwing your shoe at someone is highly insulting. Stop twisting the words im using, or I'm going to report your post (for the 3rd time in this thread already). No one's talking about 'a weird cold war within'. What does that mean? What are you talking about? Why do you KEEP bringing up things that has nothing to do with anything?

But it doesn't undermine anything. Only the president undermines why the president is there to help the people of Iraq.
When the president takes the time out of his busy schedule to go to Iraq and puts himself at big risk while doing so (very dangerous region), it looks very bad when some smuck starts throwing shoes at the president when hes there trying to get work done rebuilding the country.

W

WarPhalange

What kind of news station would hire him to begin with?
I doubt news stations ask people if they throw shoes at presidents in their spare time. I guess he must have slipped under their radar. :rolleyes:

Detention or suspended? Are you in high school?
That's what throwing shoes reminds me of. Being in high school. NOT some deadly assassination attempt.

What I stated was not an opnion. In middle eastern culture throwing your shoe at someone is highly insulting. Stop twisting the words im using, or I'm going to report your post (for the 3rd time in this thread already). No one's talking about 'a weird cold war within'. What does that mean? What are you talking about? Why do you KEEP bringing up things that has nothing to do with anything?
What the hell am I twisting? Jesus Christ, calm down. "I'LL REPORT YOU I'LL REPORT YOU!!" what is this, 3rd grade?

I meant this won't be a big deal because what can possibly happen? Increased tension between the US and Iraq because of a shoe? The president getting PTSD from this ordeal?

When the president takes the time out of his busy schedule to go to Iraq and puts himself at big risk while doing so (very dangerous region), it looks very bad when some smuck starts throwing shoes at the president when hes there trying to get work done rebuilding the country.
Yes, it does. So what?

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Art, that does not excuse the journalist from trying to assult a head of state.

The fact that you would defend this guy throwing his shoes at the president is telling.
I don't think anyone here is excusing the reporter. I'm not. I just don't see it as such a big deal. I'm sure he will have consequences from this. Who knows though but that some in Iraq might see him as a hero? But even at that... lighten up. It's only a press conference. Thankfully it was only a shoe or two.

Why you hang on some notion of required journalistic behavior in a country that has hardly had much of a tradition for an unfettered press in its entire history is a little much.
What in the h-e-double hockey sticks is he there for in the first place? The economy is melting down domestically and Dubya is jetting to Iraq? He's not rebuilding any damn country. He's grabbing a headline.

He and Cheney are the perpetrators of the adventure there, and frankly I can't say that the US has gotten out of this reckless aggression of theirs what they were representing to the American People they would get. (Not to mention casting aside 200+ years of jurisprudence and due process and soiling our own principles of human rights in the bargain.)

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Only 37 more days.

Obama says: There should only be one President at a time.

Barney Frank: I think Obama is overestimating the number of Presidents we have now.

Why you hang on some notion of required journalistic behavior in a country that has hardly had much of a tradition for an unfettered press in its entire history is a little much.
You can't say:

"I don't think anyone here is excusing the reporter"

and then say:

"Why you hang on some notion of required journalistic behavior in a country that has hardly had much of a tradition for an unfettered press in its entire history is a little much."

The implication of the second sentence contradicts the first sentence. So because Iraq has has unfettered press throughout its history, that means its to be expected that heads of state are assulted? Are you implying that im being too demanding that a iraqi reporter know better than to assualt another head of state?

Are you joking me? Are you seriously going to make this argument?

As much as I don't like Bush, no one. NO ONE, is allowed to assult the president. Under no circumstancse. Ever.

If you disagree with him, voice your opinion and have protests and run against him. No one has any right to try and harm him. The president is more than just a person, he is a symbol of the nation.

I think you guys don't see why what he did is really bad because you're not middle eastern. Think of it this way, suppose he ran up to Bush and slapped him in the face, or spit in his face. It wouldn't be 'oh he just threw a shoe at him' anymore.

Last edited:
W

WarPhalange

The president is more than just a person, he is a symbol of the nation.
You'll find that at least half of the nation disagrees with you.

I think you guys don't see why what he did is really bad because you're not middle eastern.
Are you Middle Eastern? And you are right, we have a different perspective maybe because of our culture and probably because of recent history.

Think of it this way, suppose he ran up to Bush and slapped him in the face, or spit in his face. It wouldn't be 'oh he just threw a shoe at him' anymore.
I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it. Look, Cyrus, it's obvious that we have different views from you. Personally, hearing about this put a smile on my face because the man did what so many others could only dream of doing. I view Bush as a traitor and tyrant.

In fact, if this had happened to almost any other person -- including you -- I would have been pretty angry. But G-Bush and his NeoCon gang deserve no better in my opinion.

I view this in a similar vein to Jesse Owens sticking it to Hitler in the 1936 Olympics.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving