It is now official - no link between Saddam and al-Qaeda

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary, the Senate intelligence Committee released this infromation today that there was no evidence of a link between former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda. It is also very typical of how anything negative to the Bush administration seems to be released on Fridays.
edward
The Senate intelligence Committee released this infromation today. I think most of us were already very aware of it. It is also very typical of how anythyng negative to the Bush administration seems to be released on Fridays.

There was no evidence of a link between former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda, according to a report released Friday by the U.S. Senate.

As recently as August, Bush has publicly stated that Hussein "had relations with Zarqawi."

The Senate Intelligence Committee released the findings based on an October 2005 CIA report, one that seemingly undermines one of the tenets that President George W. Bush and his officials have used to justify the Iraqi war.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/08/senate-cia-report.html [Broken]

This should have been a no brainer. Of all the nasty things that Saddam was. He was not a religious fanatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
The Senate intelligence Committee released this infromation today. I think most of us were already very aware of it. It is also very typical of how anythyng negative to the Bush administration seems to be released on Fridays.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/08/senate-cia-report.html [Broken]

This should have been a no brainer. Of all the nasty things that Saddam was. He was not a religious fanatic.
I agree, it's been pretty much assumed from the start that the invasion in Iraq was a means to serve taking the focus off the 9/11 Bin Laden dilema and trying to rid our dealings with Saddam, which we had apparently no longer had control over. We went in there knowing we'd have no problem winning, but had no plan what to do once we were in power. It was a stupid knee jerk operation that has been bungled at best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
It was a stupid knee jerk operation that has been bungled at best.
I wouldn't call it a knee-jerk reaction. The invasion of Iraq has been a high neocon priority since the 90s (see any PNAC mission statement, letter to the President, etc.). The means and motive have existed for a while now; the only thing missing was opportunity.

I agree with gokul ... this wasn't some spur of the minute thing.

I agree that we wanted to do it for a long time, but I believe that the decision to invade was done as soon as the opportunity arose and I seriously doubt there was a well worked out plan, certainly no thought to what we were going to do after the invasion. I'd hate to think that this is the result of a long and carefully thought out plan.:bugeye:

The "why" of something is never due to anyone thing. Bush's defiance against his father and desire to prove himself the better man was the most immature and foolish aspect of all. Had he sought council from advisers of previous administrations, most notably his father, he would have been told that removal of Saddam would result in civil war. Perhaps he did receive this council but didn't believe it or just chose to ignore it because of the other factors involved (all the more despicable).

I agree that the diversion from Afghanistan to Iraq was done in large part as a distraction, because it was more tangible to capture Saddam (though not as timely as hoped) than remaining focused on pursuit of Bin Laden. This being the case, Bush has no right to claim he is fighting a "war on terror." Also I believe it was to create a war, thus making Bush a "war president" for purposes of re-election.

One has to wonder whether claims that we'd be welcomed as liberators with flowers, etc. was truly a miscalculation, or whether it was just propaganda to retain the hope and support of the American people (because you see you have to keep catapulting it). The latter is more offensive to me, but I think the consensus is poor planning/execution really existed, as manifested by the looting, etc., though both are unacceptable.

As for a neocon agenda, remember that Bush did not embrace/incorporate neocon philosophy and rhetoric until the invasion began to go awry. Somehow I doubt he really believes it anymore than he is really born again (which he became after losing his first election due to lack of support by the religious-right). How timely it always seems to be when this supposed man of convictions gets his convictions.

The neocon agenda is correct that Iraq is strategic. Public sentiment is correct that Saddam was a menace. But these facts are not enough to justify the loss of life and the cost of millions each day, as well as loss of world-wide respect/relations, etc. I wonder if many neocons will ever come to grips with the fact that other countries cannot be forced to drink the water, and that other cultures must evolve in their own way. And that democracy does not necessarily result in peace, and certainly not necessarily in pro-American sentiment.

Currently the right-wing is whining about how Iraq is the first time the U.S. has forcefully interfered with a sovereign nation (they roll their eyes and use a snide tone when the say sovereign), so the world does not have a right to hate us and call us a bully. While others come right out and say we are bigger and stronger, so why not be a bully? Those are the same people who say intellectuals are the root of all problems, as if it is better to have ignorant people like Bush lead the free world.

Those are the same people who don't know history, let alone a proper understanding of current events. I guess supporting revolutions with arms/advisers, giving/withholding aid or trade agreements versus embargoes, etc., or just indifference toward a country (e.g., Darfur) is not interference. I guess it only counts as bullying when it is a preemptive, illegal regime change.

In the meantime, do you think this most recent announcement will have any impact on people who still believe Iraq was involved with 9-11? Do you think they will say "Bush mislead us"? Do you think they will now know they were lied to and that this is an impeachable offense?

1. What is the significance of the statement "no link between Saddam and al-Qaeda"?

The statement signifies that there is no evidence or proof to support the claim that Saddam Hussein, the former dictator of Iraq, had any connection or collaboration with the terrorist organization al-Qaeda.

2. Why is this statement considered official?

The statement is considered official because it has been declared by a credible and authoritative source, such as a government agency or an expert in the field, after thorough research and investigation.

3. Was there ever any evidence to suggest a link between Saddam and al-Qaeda?

No, there has never been any solid evidence to support the claim of a link between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda. The belief was mainly based on speculation and misinformation.

4. How does this statement impact the public's perception of the Iraq War?

This statement may cause the public to question the legitimacy of the Iraq War, as one of the main justifications for the invasion was to eliminate Saddam Hussein's alleged connection to terrorism.

5. Are there any other factors that contributed to the misconception of a link between Saddam and al-Qaeda?

Yes, there were several other factors that contributed to the misconception, such as political agendas, media manipulation, and false information spread by individuals seeking to justify the invasion of Iraq.