Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buy a sport bike sometime in the next year

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    Ok, I'm looking to buy a sport bike sometime in the next year (possibly two years, depending on university financials, some things have to come first afterall). I intend for it to be my primary transport 80-90% of the time. Incidently, it will be my first bike, and no I don't have the license yet. I'll probably do some learning on my dad's chopper to get my license upgraded.

I'm looking for suggestions on possible choices. The only decision I've made so far, is that I'm fairly certain I want a sport bike, not a chopper. I've looked at the Honda CBR600F4i, but that seems a little pricey for a first bike, but from what I've read it looks like its worth the money. I've also looked over the Suzuki Katana 600/750 (I have no preference on motor size, though I don't know if I'd be happy with something as small as say the Ninja 250). There's also the Ninja 500R, or even the BMW F650 CS (cheaper than that Honda).

I'm mostly looking for recommendations and comments. Again, keep in mind that it will be my first bike. Price, and ease for a beginner are my primary concerns.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2
    Suzuki GSXR-600 or Honda CBR.

My friend totaled his CBR and just got a new black and silver GSXR.

Be safe but have fun. :biggrin:
  4. Aug 28, 2006 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Personally, if this your first bike, I doubt you can handle a 600 or higher sports bike! Or even afford in the INSURANCE!

I'd say go with a Ninja 250. I've never driven one of those, but I'm sure they would be fine. They top out at like 160km/h (not 100% sure though).

Definitely do not get a 600 for your first bike. That's like suicide.
  5. Aug 28, 2006 #4
    I'm paying insurance on a Sebring convertible now, so as long as its no worse, I'll be ok (I have no idea actually, haven't looked into that end of it, glad you brought it up though).

Aside from the weight, how so ( I just checked the katana closer, its a wopping 458 lbs, thats a bit much)? I've checked through user reviews, and it seems a fair number of people start out on 600s.

As a side note, I'm a little over 6'3" (190 cm) so riding comfort may/may not be an issue. Just another thing I'd thought I'd mention.

I've really just started looking into this with any seriousness in the past week.
  6. Aug 28, 2006 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I still wouldn't be surprised if it cost you more on insurance than your car.

It's freaking expensive, especially for first year riding. It probably cuts by 40% after the first year though.
  7. Aug 28, 2006 #6
    Franz, get a 600 unless you want cars riding your rear tire. My friend started with a 600. A 600 is fine..

Insurance is not bad in the US Jason. Actually, my friend told me insurance is higher for a 600 because most people start with one. Its lower for a 750. I dont know if its true or not. If it is, get a 750. But 750 or 1000cc is quite alot of power.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  8. Aug 29, 2006 #7

Its also a lot more money for one that size.

I was leaning towards the Katana (for price mostly) until I saw the weight.

I'll have to look more closely at what the insurance rates would be.
  9. Aug 29, 2006 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have another question.

Are you sure a sports bike is practical for 80-90% of transportation?

Sure it's cool, but I've never met anyone using their bike 90% of the time. Usually like maybe 50% at most and that's not even year round. Sport bikes aren't the most comfortable ride. If they are short trips, then that's ok. When I say short, I mean no longer than 10 minute rides. You can ride longer than that, but it won't be pleasant doing it everyday, back and forth.

Have you looked into 500's?
  10. Aug 29, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suzuki gs500 is a very good starter.
  11. Aug 29, 2006 #10

Gold Member

Check with your insurance company before deciding on displacement. There is usually a boost in the premiums at the 600cc level, so a 500 could cost less and save you money every year in insurance premiums. A Buell Blast could be the perfect 1st sport bike. They are very light and powerful, and you'll get around 70 mpg. 492cc making 34 hp at 6500 rpm is pretty darned good in a bike that weighs in at 360#.
  12. Aug 29, 2006 #11

Buell Blasts are good bikes but depending on how tall you are you might find them a bit small (size wise not powerwise). I am 5'8 and find them way to little. If you get a 600 sportbike don't think that just because it is only a 600 it won't be a big deal.....those things go like the devil! They absolutley fly......so have fun but be careful especially while you are getting used to it. I've known a few people who have totalled them off because they have underestimated them (code for being really stupid lol). I'm sure they are very fun bikes just not my style. If you are considering a BMW 650 I would look at those more closely.....they are great very versatile bikes. You can get a used Harley Davidson sportster 883 or 1200 for a very good price if you look at the models before the rubber mounted engine was introduced......not really the style you seem to be looking for but it's also something you might want to just look at to see if you would like it or not. Have fun :biggrin:
  13. Aug 29, 2006 #12

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's the bike I was thinking of. Nice bike too.
  14. Aug 29, 2006 #13
    That sort of thing is exactly why I'm asking. Like I said, I just started looking into this, and it will probably be at least a year before I actually get one (basically, whenever my car finally goes caput).
  15. Aug 29, 2006 #14
    Looking at the Blast, I like it, but the height will probably be an issue (again, I'm 6'3"). I'm not so worried about the power in the 600s, mostly because I'm not a particularly psychotic driver (unlike my cousins, I have yet to wreck the 700cc Raptor, or the 600cc jetskis. :rolleyes: Not the same thing, I know, but from experience my tendency has always been to overestimate the power of the vehicle I'm driving, rather than to underestimate it.). I will probably look more closely at the BMW F650.
  16. Aug 29, 2006 #15
    A similar bike to the F650 that will be a lot cheaper is the Suzuki Vstrom 600......not nearly as pretty as the 650 but it still has great reviews. I would take the Beemer over the Suzuki though anyday. I'm really not a fan of the japanese brands unless it is for dirtbikes, quads....ect.
  17. Aug 29, 2006 #16

I am a big fan of yamaha quads. I've had a lot of fun with the Raptor and the Banshee, even with the Warrior (which I nearly took over a cliff once).
  18. Aug 29, 2006 #17

Staff: Mentor

Have you taken the MSF class yet? That's a good start, and it gives you some VERY valuable street riding strategies and tips. Cages are dangerous to us bikers.

An F4 or the SV650 would be good initial choices, as long as you exercise some self control with your right hand. I commute all year-round on my sportbike here in Northern California (rain or shine), and I used to go to the racetrack with my sportbike at least twice a year. After I got my first motocross bike, though, I'd rather ride the dirt instead of taking my sportbike to the track. The important thing is to keep the high-speed fun and wheelies and stoppies off the public roads, and get those thrills at a racetrack (school or track day), or in the dirt. If you fall into the trap of riding canyons fast or stunting on the road, you will start to pile up the tickets, and run the risk of a very bad crash.

Oh yeah, I started on a VFR, then rode F3/F4 bikes for a long while, and now have a Buell XB-12R Firebolt.
  19. Aug 29, 2006 #18
    No, but I do intend to. Like I said, I just really made the decision to do this in the past week, though I'd been considering it for a few months. And it will still probably be a year before I make a purchase.

I have little intention of doing any sort of stunt riding on public roads. Cops out here have too much time for catching speeders as is.

I'm curious, how long is your commute?

20. Aug 29, 2006 #19

Oh yeah yamaha quads are great! We used to have a little blaster.....not very big but tons of fun! Their dirtbikes are awesome to but I think if I were buying a new one I would go for a Honda or KTM.
  21. Aug 29, 2006 #20

Staff: Mentor

It's varied over the years, but it's in the range of 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. There have been some days where traffic was backed up for the whole commute for an accident or something, and that can take a bit longer. My daily commute is about 30-40% lane splitting and the rest straight 80mph or so. Slower in the rain, obviously. It takes several years of riding and experience before you should do much rain riding. :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?