1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

By how much does your force change the kinetic energy

Tags:
  1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You push a blob of gelatin with a constant force of 2.4 F across a wet table on which it slides easily. Because the blob shape distorts, its center of mass moves only 33 mm during the time interval in which the point of application of your force moves 53 mm .
    By how much does your force change the kinetic energy of the center of mass?
    What is the work done by you on the blob?= 0.127 J

2. Relevant equations
    w=ΔK
    ΔK=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    w= 0.127 J

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is there a question here?
    Does the sheer modulus have anything to do with this?
    Can you describe where the work-energy goes?

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    By how much does your force change the kinetic energy of the center of mass?
    this is the question

5. Nov 15, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That was their question, not yours.
    That is the problem you have to solve - you just posted a bunch of stuff and left it to us to guess what you wanted. What was your question? Not theirs, yours.
    Please answer my other questions.

6. Nov 15, 2016 #5
    my question is that i am lost and frusterated with this question and that i need help walking through it to figure out the answer

7. Nov 15, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Great! It is best not to make people guess what you want - and phrasing questions is an important part of the scientific method which you are learning.
    Can you answer the other two questions in post #2?

8. Nov 15, 2016 #7
    i've never learned sheer modulus so i don't know. isn't the work going into the geletin

9. Nov 16, 2016 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Work = force times distance of mass center.
    The work is equal to the change in kinetic energy (unless the object starts to rotate or something like that).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted