C# Programming Operator precedence

In summary, the expression x = 5 + (9 * 5) * (3 ^ 3/2 - 20) has an answer of -805. The "^" symbol represents the bitwise logical exclusive OR operator in C# and is used for pairs of integral arguments. The operator precedence in the expression is important to keep in mind, and the typecasting in C/C++ compilers can affect the result. The tricky part in this expression is evaluating 3^(-19), which involves converting -19 to a binary number to calculate the XOR with 3.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

What is the value of x = 5 + (9 * 5) * (3 ^ 3/2 - 20).

Homework Equations

Operator precedence.

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 5 + (45) * (3 ^ 3/2 - 20).
Is the "^" here the exclusive or operator? In that case wouldn't x have 2 possible values?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a plus to me. Check your post for typos. I see at least two.

Anywho, aren't XOR operators and such bitwise operators rather than arithmetic operators?

SteamKing said:
Looks like a plus to me. Check your post for typos. I see at least two.

Anywho, aren't XOR operators and such bitwise operators rather than arithmetic operators?

Edited it there. No, I'm not referring to the plus sign above. I'm literally asking about this "^" sign. The XOR operator. I thought they were only used in boolean comparisons and stuff.

The ^ operator in C# is defined for pairs of integral arguments (int, uint, long, ulong), pairs of args of some enumerated type, and pairs of type bool. For an expression consisting of int constants, like yours, ^ computes the bitwise logical exclusive OR of the two operands.

Keep in mind the relative precedence of the operators in your expression: * and / are higher than + and -, which are higher than any of the logical operators.

Also keep in mind that most C/C++ compilers do automatic typecasting, so you may THINK you have one kind of variable after an operation, but you really have another kind. For example, depending on what operation is performed on it, the term

3/2

might reduce to an integer (1) or to a single (1.5). I think the term by itself reduces to 1 because both parts are integer so the compiler will assume you want an integer answer (unless you set a = 3/2 and a is a single. Anyway that kind of thing is important to keep in mind, and to understand how your compiler handles it.

Thanks for the help lads. So, what exactly should the output be? An I right in assuming there'll be 2 possible values for x? It was actually an exam question and not a homework question so I'm just wondering out of pure curiosity like.

x ends up as -805. The tricky part is evaluating 3^(-19), which entails writing -19 as a binary number so you can calculate the XOR with 3.

Ohh, ok. I see. Thanks for that man.

1. What is operator precedence in C# programming?

Operator precedence in C# programming refers to the order in which operators are evaluated in an expression. This determines which operations are performed first and can affect the overall outcome of the expression.

2. How do I know the order of operator precedence in C#?

C# follows a set of rules for operator precedence, where certain operators have higher precedence than others. A complete list of operator precedence can be found in the C# documentation or in a programming textbook.

3. Are there any exceptions to operator precedence in C#?

Yes, there are certain cases where the order of operator precedence can be changed by using parentheses in an expression. This allows for specific operations to be performed before others, regardless of their default precedence level.

4. What happens if I don't follow the correct operator precedence in my code?

If you do not follow the correct operator precedence in your code, your expression may be evaluated incorrectly and give an unexpected result. It is important to understand and properly use operator precedence to ensure your code functions as intended.

5. Can I change the default operator precedence in C#?

No, the default operator precedence in C# cannot be changed. It is a fundamental aspect of the language and is necessary for consistent and predictable code execution.