Blackjack program in javascript

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Javascript
In summary: The best way to find this out is to test it. Real programmers use a unit test framework (for JavaScript we have mocha, Jest or AVA) but for now I would use something like this:function runTests(subject, tests) { for (const [description, input, expected] in tests) { const actual = subject(input); if (actual === expected) { console.log(description, 'passed'); continue; } console.log(description, 'failed', { expected, actual }); }}
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1687365328398.png

JavaScript:
let card_value = 0;
let count_of_a = 0;
let number_of_cards = Number(prompt("Enter the number of cards."));
if (number_of_cards >= 2 && number_of_cards <= 5) {

let cards = [];
  for (let i = 0; i < number_of_cards; i++) {
    cards[i] = prompt("Enter the value of card ");
  }
  var dict = {

"2": 2,
    "3": 3,
    "4": 4,
    "5": 5,
    "6": 6,
    "7": 7,
    "8": 8,
    "9": 9,
    "t": 10,
    "j": 11,
    "q": 12,
    "k": 13
  };

for (let j of cards) {
    if (j == "a") {
      count_of_a++;
      continue;
    }
    else {
      card_value += dict[j];
    }
  }
  for (let k = 0; k < count_of_a; k++) {
    dict["a"] = (card_value + 11 > 21) ? 1 : 11,
      card_value += dict["a"];
  }
  console.log(card_value);
}
else {
  console.log("Program ends here. Please enter again.");
}
Is my code correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the face cards (j,q,k) are suppose to score ten each. Not 11, 12, 13.

Likes scottdave, Mark44, DrClaude and 2 others
Your algorithm may not work properly when there are more than one ace, for instance "T A A".

shivajikobardan said:
Is my code correct?
The best way to find this out is to test it. Real programmers use a unit test framework (for JavaScript we have mocha, Jest or AVA) but for now I would use something like this:
JavaScript:
function runTests(subject, tests) {
  for (const [description, input, expected] in tests) {
    const actual = subject(input);
    if (actual === expected) {
      console.log(description, 'passed');
      continue;
    }
    console.log(description, 'failed', { expected, actual });
  }
}

runTests(calculateScore, [
  ['It should calculate Ace high', [5, 5, 'a'], 21],
  ['It should calculate Ace low', [5, 6, 'a'], 12],
]);
First you need to separate the calculation part from the parts accepting input and reporting results: this is called separation of concerns and is a vital concept in any programming language.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
pbuk said:
@.Scott @DrClaude net vs. fish: serial hungry man here.
Beginner programmers need mentorship. Apparently, PF is what he has.

Likes shivajikobardan
pbuk said:
First you need to separate the calculation part from the parts accepting input and reporting results: this is called separation of concerns and is a vital concept in any programming language.
Hey, so my code is working right? except the fact j,k,q are 10? How do you separate calculation parts from accepting input part?

shivajikobardan said:
How do you separate calculation parts from accepting input part?
First let me make sure you understand why you would separate it - which is to assist in unit testing. If you put lines 10 to 38 of your JavaScript code into a function (I'll call it Score21), then you can write test code that passes is test cases and checks the result for accuracy (a @pbuk suggested). Lines 10 to 38 are the meat of your code - where subtle errors are most likely. So if you can systematically run a dozen well-chosen test cases against it, it can provide your and others with confidence-inspiring evidence that the code is doing what you want.

Of course, that still leaves your other 15 lines of code untested. Testing those require feeding the "prompt" function and checking the output of the console.log function. There are techniques for doing that automatically, but let's leave it as just a manual test procedure - run the program, enter test values, read and verify the result.

There is a part 2 to this. Two months later, the requirements change a bit. Say you want to support '0' and an alternate to 't' for specifying the "ten" card. So you make the appropriate changes, and then rerun the original test for function Score21. That would be a "regression test" and it tells you whether you have broken anything.

Then you would update that regression test to include another 1 or 2 test cases for the new "0" feature and test it again.

Then repeat the manual testing.
Finally put together the design/test-report/code merge request package for peer review - but that's a whole new topic.

Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
I believe the face cards (j,q,k) are suppose to score ten each. Not 11, 12, 13.
And this is stated in the problem description.

Likes .Scott
As I understand your code, you will choose the total number of cards, between 2 to 5 cards, without predetermining the value of each card, and then you will iterate through each of your chosen total number of cards and assign each card its value in an array (cards[]).

You will then iterate through your cards[] array and add the total of each card to the card_value variable (card_value += dict[j];), but aces ("a") are not yet in the dictionary object, so if your code encounters an ace ("a"), it will simply count the number of aces without yet adding any number to the card-value variable:
if (j == "a") {
count_of_a++;
}

After counting the number of aces, your program will ask that number of times if the card_value total of all the cards plus 11 is less than 21. If less than 21, your program will assign the value of 11 to "a" in your dictionary object and add that value to the card_value total of all the cards, but if the total card_value plus 11 is equal to or greater than 21, then your program will assign the value of 1 to your dictionary object and add that value to the card_value total of all the cards. Thus, the value of "a" in your dictionary object can change.

Barring any syntax issues, it is a clever piece of logic.

Finally, your program writes your hand total to console.log, though it does not display whether the hand busted as you originally intended.

I put your program into the Code IDE, and all the brackets seem to be correctly nested. I would put the program as javascript inside an html page with some different coding to display everything to see if it works, but I have not done so.

Of course, you know that an actual blackjack hand can have more than five cards without busting, but I assume that this was a test for correctly assigning the value of 11 or 1 to aces.

RayDonaldPratt said:
Barring any syntax issues, it is a clever piece of logic.
Except it doesn't work for e.g.
DrClaude said:
Your algorithm may not work properly when there are more than one ace, for instance "T A A".

1. How can I create a Blackjack program in JavaScript?

To create a Blackjack program in JavaScript, you will need to use functions to handle the game logic, variables to store the game state, and event listeners to respond to user input. You can start by defining the rules of Blackjack and then implement the game flow accordingly.

2. How can I handle the card deck in a Blackjack program in JavaScript?

You can represent the deck of cards in an array and shuffle it using a shuffle algorithm. Each card can be represented as an object with properties like suit, value, and name. When dealing cards, you can pop cards from the deck array and add them to the player's or dealer's hand.

3. How do I calculate the score in a Blackjack program in JavaScript?

To calculate the score in a Blackjack program, you can iterate through the player's or dealer's hand and sum up the values of the cards. Remember that Aces can have a value of 1 or 11 depending on the total score. You can handle this logic by checking if adding 11 would bust the player and adjust the value accordingly.

4. How can I implement player decisions like Hit or Stand in a Blackjack program in JavaScript?

You can add event listeners to buttons representing Hit and Stand actions. When the player clicks Hit, you can deal a new card to the player's hand and recalculate the score. If the player clicks Stand, you can move on to the dealer's turn. Make sure to handle the game logic for busting or winning conditions accordingly.

5. How can I display the game state and results in a Blackjack program in JavaScript?

You can create HTML elements to display the player's and dealer's hands, the current score, and the game result. Update these elements dynamically as the game progresses to provide feedback to the player. You can also include buttons for starting a new game or resetting the current game state.