CA law now allows good samaritans to be sued.

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of good samaritans being sued in California for providing assistance. The law allows for good samaritans to be sued, as bad things can happen even with good intentions. The key question is whether the good samaritan's actions were responsible for any harm caused. Some argue that people should be held responsible for their actions, while others believe that motivation should absolve someone from liability. The conversation also mentions instances where medical professionals may be held liable for not providing assistance. This law may lead to a loss of life as people may be too afraid to help.
People often run into dangerous situations because of their desire to help. A number of years back a fellow was cleaning out an old well that he intended to use when he built his house. His brother dropped to see how he was doing (or perhaps to lend a hand), saw his brother collapsed in the well, and climbed down the ladder to get him. A bit later a good friend of mine that lived down the road a bit dropped in and found both brothers collapsed at the bottom of the well, with a gas-powered mud pump running nearby. Arnold knew that the well was probably filled with carbon monoxide, so he shut off the pump and ran home to call 911. He was good friends with both of the dead men, and it still haunts him that he could not save them. He kept his head though, and it might have cost him his life if he had not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnold knew that the well was probably filled with carbon monoxide, so he shut off the pump and ran home to call 911.
Well done, that's the common tragedy in confined space training. In the majority of cases somebody jumps into help, collapses and then someone else goes to help them... By the time anyone calls 911 there are a dozen extra casualties.

The trouble with the US is that if you had saved them you would have been sued anyway. Then in court a lawyer gets you to admit you had gas attack training in the army 20 years ago and so convinces the jury that you are an expert, and your liability insurance then cancels because you hadn't informed them of this pertinent 'fact'.
Then they find out you are employed by a company with deep pockets - so they are included in the case on the basis that you were wearing their promotional t-shirt or baseball cap.

misgfool said:
I don't see the difference between these two if both of them are the same.
Huh? I don't see how they're the same.

I would, however, like to see you provide some statistics to back your case. Otherwise your comments are just stating an opinion as well unless I'm utterly mistaken.
What case? The only case I've been (intentionally) making is several people are making very flimsy arguments: the situation isn't as black and white as some people are trying to make it out to be! :-p If I had a real opinion, and the facts to back it up, you would see me arguing my case in addition to challenging those who don't have one.

Danger said:
It is starting to seem to me that in the US the best thing to do if you run across an injured person is to kill him; then pull the "They shoot horses, don't they?" defense.

"Hello, 911"

"My husband's been shot!"

"Is he dead?"

"Let me check...<pause>...<sound of a gunshot>...<pause>... Okay, he's dead. Now what?"