Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DNA tests disprove Mormon scripture

1. Feb 16, 2006 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some will be shocked and some will assume that the science is wrong, but this is pretty big stuff for the Mormons.

4. Feb 16, 2006 #3
    I'm not sure any amount of scientific findings will ever hurt a religion. Faith is Faith.

5. Feb 16, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...the tricky God concept. All could be a test of faith.

6. Feb 16, 2006 #5
    Does that mean they will stop coming to my house and try to convert me? Thank god, oh wait....

7. Feb 16, 2006 #6
    Ok so do the Modern Native Americans have the same phenotypes as the Native Americans of 1000's of years ago? When did they acquire these differing features?

Perhaps in North America there were viruses or what have you that influenced their genome and made their genes very different from the Israelis back at Israel?

Someone needs to do genetic testing of ancient Native American DNA.

8. Feb 16, 2006 #7
    "Some days I am angry, and some days I feel pity," he said. "I feel pity for my people who have become obsessed with something that is nothing but a hoax."

I empathize with this guy.

9. Feb 16, 2006 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

They took tiny fragments of ribs from the ancient bones and extracted the dna. The results are the same: Asia.

10. Feb 16, 2006 #9
    I agree no matter what secientific evendince you have your never going to convince people to stop belving in there Faith(which is why it's called Faith) there just going to keep on beleving it.
    I think it's insane(sorry if offend anyone:smile: ) to beleive that native americans are from a lost Isarel tribe for reilguos reasons.The Aztechs you use to go to war just to find people to scarfice and once a year they would cut someones heart and I think they whould take it to the top of there sun temple and roll it down the stairs(I'am not sure if they did this but I know they took out peoples harts).The religous differnce between judism and Native american reilgons form them to have an reilgous improtance of one and another.

11. Feb 16, 2006 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

12. Feb 16, 2006 #11
    Why is this therd posted in the poltics fourm?

13. Feb 16, 2006 #12

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Doesn't this fit with world affairs? There are plenty of mormons around the world.

------------------------

Here is a question for you people: If the Book of Mormom, which is supposed to be the word of God, can be invalidated, what does that say about the Bible?

14. Feb 16, 2006 #13
    Any religious book can be invalidated by any other religious book that says something different.

Edit: ...and many of their articles can be invalidated by science and/or just common sense.

15. Feb 16, 2006 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I'm talking about scientific evidence, not what some other people might have in their mind.

Edit: Ah, you added science. I want to keep this discussion as scientific as possible.

Anyway, I don't think their has been scientific evidence against a major religion that is as definitive as in this case.

16. Feb 16, 2006 #15
    Nothing the Book of Mormom is in my oppion is insane.Look at the part about the lost tribe Isarel and Native american and there lots other parts in there as well.The story the guy got glasses he fell on rock and saw a angle and a lizzard.

17. Feb 16, 2006 #16
    Unless you don't treat it literally...

18. Feb 16, 2006 #17
    That's the trick. Then anything can mean whatever you want it to mean, which makes it a little slippery. It's good politics.

19. Feb 16, 2006 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To whom has it been invalidated?

Surely this will count as invalidation to those who only accept the scientific method as a path to knowledge, and it holds absolutely no sway over those who only accept religion as a path to knowledge. And for those who accept both, it just provides an interesting quandary to ponder! (Say... akin to the discovery of the photoelectric effect)

20. Feb 16, 2006 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hurkyl, the Book of Mormon is based on the church founder saying that American Indians are Israelites, and it was the word of God that told him this and that Jesus came to these American Indian Israelites in 33AD and that is what the entire religion is based on, fiction. Well, as if it wasn't already glaringly obvious that American Indians aren't Israelites, DNA testing has proven it.

Watch the video Dduardo posted if you have any questions.

21. Feb 16, 2006 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me try saying that again, but in more specific terms:

If you take the book of Mormon to be a much higher authority on truth than the scientific method, then this result doesn't invalidate anything. (Except possibly the scientific theory leading to the result)

Even if you take them to be roughly equal authorities, this result doesn't invalidate anything -- it is merely a demonstration that our current understanding is flawed, and provides direction towards refining it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?