Calc I 'graphical analysis' question

• Thread starter OrbitalPower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the person is asking for clarification on how to graph the function (-.001 < ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) < .001) and whether they should solve for absolute value first. They mention getting "undefined variable" errors and suggest graphing three functions to potentially avoid the error. They also question whether this problem is compatible with their calculator.
OrbitalPower
http://home.comcast.net/~kidicarus23/larsoncalc.png

This is a question from Larson's calculus that I never was quite sure what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Do I graph -.001 < ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) < .001

with something like when x <.001 ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) and when x > .001 ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) but I just get "undefined variable" errors (it does begin to graph it, though).

Do I solve abs(((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2)) - 4) and then graph it?

Is this problem tyring to show that the delta values will be between the upper and lower bounds of | f(x) -L | < epsilon.

I'm not sure this a problem compatible with my calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know your "graphing facility" so I don't know what "undefined variables" you are getting but I would graph
1) y= (x^2- 4)/(x- 2)
2) y= 4- 0.01 and
3) y= 4+ 0.01

If your facility actually begins to graph it and then gives an error message, it may actually be a "divide by 0" problem at x= 2. Try graphing the three functions above with a window x= -1 to x= 2 and then again with x= 2 to x= 3

1. What is "graphical analysis" in Calc I?

"Graphical analysis" in Calc I refers to the process of using graphs to analyze and interpret mathematical functions and their properties. It involves plotting the function on a coordinate plane and examining the shape, intercepts, and other characteristics of the graph.

2. How is graphical analysis used in Calc I?

Graphical analysis is an important tool in Calc I as it helps to visualize and understand the behavior of functions. It can be used to find the domain and range of a function, identify critical points, and determine the behavior of the function at these points. It also helps in solving equations and inequalities involving functions.

3. What are some common types of graphs used in graphical analysis in Calc I?

Some common types of graphs used in graphical analysis in Calc I include line graphs, parabolas, exponential curves, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. These graphs can be used to represent different types of functions and their behavior.

4. How do you read a graph in graphical analysis in Calc I?

To read a graph in graphical analysis in Calc I, you need to understand the key elements such as the x and y axes, the scale of the axes, and the points plotted on the graph. The x-axis represents the independent variable, while the y-axis represents the dependent variable. The scale of the axes determines the units and increments used. The points plotted on the graph indicate the values of the function at different points.

5. Can graphical analysis be used to solve real-world problems in Calc I?

Yes, graphical analysis can be used to solve real-world problems in Calc I. It can be applied in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze real-world situations involving mathematical functions. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of an object, determine the optimal solution for a business problem, or design a structure with specific dimensions.