1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc I 'graphical analysis' question

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1

This is a question from Larson's calculus that I never was quite sure what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Do I graph -.001 < ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) < .001

with something like when x <.001 ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) and when x > .001 ((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2) - 4) but I just get "undefined variable" errors (it does begin to graph it, though).

Do I solve abs(((x^2 - 4)/ (x - 2)) - 4) and then graph it?

Is this problem tyring to show that the delta values will be between the upper and lower bounds of | f(x) -L | < epsilon.

I'm not sure this a problem compatible with my calculator.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know your "graphing facility" so I don't know what "undefined variables" you are getting but I would graph
    1) y= (x^2- 4)/(x- 2)
    2) y= 4- 0.01 and
    3) y= 4+ 0.01

If your facility actually begins to graph it and then gives an error message, it may actually be a "divide by 0" problem at x= 2. Try graphing the three functions above with a window x= -1 to x= 2 and then again with x= 2 to x= 3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?