Calc III: Shortest Distance in 3D Problem

In summary, the shortest distance from the point P = (0, 1, 2) to the line given by l(t) = (1+t, 2-2t, 3+3t) can be found by substituting the values of l(t) into the distance formula d = sqrt((x-0)^(2) + (y-1)^(2) + (z-2)^(2)). Simplifying the equation and finding the derivative of l(t) will help determine the closest point on the line.
nchin
Calculus III, find shortest distance, 3 dimension problem? check my answer please??

What is the shortest distance from the point P = (0, 1, 2) to the line given by l(t) = (1+t, 2-2t, 3+3t)?

use distance formula

d = sqrt ((x-0)^(2) + (y-1)^(2) + (z-2)^(2))

d^(2) = ((x)^(2) + (y-1)^(2) + (z-2)^(2))

substitute l(t) values

=((1+t)^(2) + (1-2t)^(2) + (1+3t)^(2))

simplify

l ' (t) = 2 + 2t + 8t - 4 +6 + 18t

= 2 + 2t + 8t - 4 + 6 + 18t

=28t + 4

4(1+7t) = 0

t = - 1/7What do i do after i find the t value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nchin said:
What is the shortest distance from the point P = (0, 1, 2) to the line given by l(t) = (1+t, 2-2t, 3+3t)?

use distance formula

d = sqrt ((x-0)^(2) + (y-1)^(2) + (z-2)^(2))

d^(2) = ((x)^(2) + (y-1)^(2) + (z-2)^(2))

substitute l(t) values

=((1+t)^(2) + (1-2t)^(2) + (1+3t)^(2))

simplify

l ' (t) = 2 + 2t + 8t - 4 +6 + 18t

= 2 + 2t + 8t - 4 + 6 + 18t

=28t + 4

4(1+7t) = 0

t = - 1/7

What do i do after i find the t value?

I didn't check your work, but the t value will tell you what point on the line is closest. Then what?

LCKurtz said:
I didn't check your work, but the t value will tell you what point on the line is closest. Then what?

nvm my whole answer is wrong. i used the wrong formula. i figured it out thanks.

1. What is the shortest distance problem in 3D?

The shortest distance problem in 3D refers to finding the shortest distance between two points or objects in three-dimensional space. This problem is commonly encountered in the field of calculus, specifically in the topic of multivariable calculus.

2. How is Calc III used to solve the shortest distance problem in 3D?

Calc III, or Calculus III, is a course that covers topics in multivariable calculus, including the concept of distance in three-dimensional space. In this course, students learn various techniques and formulas to calculate the shortest distance between two points, lines, or planes in 3D.

3. What are some real-life applications of the shortest distance problem in 3D?

The shortest distance problem in 3D has numerous real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, it can be used to find the shortest path for a spacecraft to travel from one point to another in space, or to determine the shortest distance between two cities on a map.

4. What are some common methods used to solve the shortest distance problem in 3D?

Some common methods used to solve the shortest distance problem in 3D include the distance formula, vector operations, and the method of Lagrange multipliers. These methods involve different techniques, but ultimately aim to find the minimum distance between two points or objects in 3D.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to solving the shortest distance problem in 3D?

One limitation of solving the shortest distance problem in 3D is that it can become increasingly complex as the number of dimensions increases. Additionally, some situations may not have a unique solution or may require advanced mathematical techniques to find the shortest distance. As with any mathematical problem, there may also be challenges in accurately representing and interpreting the real-world scenario in a mathematical model.