1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc Problem about a Racetrack

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright, so I have this problem from a textbook I'm using:

There is a track (of unit length) with ##k## runners on it. At the time ##t=0##, the runners start from the same position and take off simultaneously. Each runner has a distinct speed. A runner is said to be "lonely," at a time ##t##, if the runner is a distance of ##\frac{1}{k}## from any other runner. Prove that each runner will be lonely at some point in time.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I obviously need to use induction for this. The case for ##k=1## is trivial, because there are no other runners, so that runner will always be a distance of ##\frac{1}{k}## from other runners. However, I'm stuck at this point, and am having trouble for cases where ##k\geq2##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of calculus course is this? k=1 is trivial and you should certainly be able to handle k=2. Beyond that it gets really hairy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonely_runner_conjecture Looks to me like it's actually an unsolved problem.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    Oh... wow :smile: That would explain my difficulty with the problem. Thanks for figuring that out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted