1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calcularing area vector using line integral

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed curve C is described by the following equations in a Cartesian coordinate system:
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    where the parameter t runs monotonically from 0 to 2π, thus defining the direction of C. Calculate the area vector of the planar region enclosed by C, using the formula:
    gif.gif

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm mostly having trouble defining what gif.gif is as a physical quantity. I think it is the distance to an incremented point along the curve such that gif.gif it the area of the equilateral shape formed by the vectors and that half the integral of that gives the area but i'm suck here:
    gif.gif
    Than I can evaluate it as:
    gif.gif
    and this would give a result that is only in the z direction which dimensionally makes sense

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If
    [tex] \vec{r} = x(t) \, {\bf i} + y(t) \, {\bf j} + z(t)\, {\bf k} [/tex]
    how would you compute ##d \vec{r}## in terms of ##dt##?

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    My first instinct was just to derive each of them with respect to t like such
    20y%28t%29%5Chat%7By%7D+%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20t%7D%20z%28t%29%5Chat%7Bz%7D.gif
    gif.gif
    Is that right?

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4
  6. Sep 16, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, go ahead and finish the evaluation of the integral ...

7. Sep 16, 2015 #6
    So http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441349/eqn.png [Broken] (by trig identities)
    and so the integral is
    http://www.sciweavers.org/upload/Tex2Img_1442441225/eqn.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Sep 16, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's a small mistake in your integration. You seem to have omitted integrating the constant (3/8) in your trig identity expression

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Sep 16, 2015 #8
    I was hoping you wouldn't notice that, I was just too lazy to retype it into LaTex, but yes, it was included in my calculations (I appreciate your thoroughness though!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted