1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral for line current

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the integral ##\oint_C \vec F \cdot d\vec S##, where ##C## is the closed curve constructed by the intersection of the surfaces ##z = \frac{x^2+y^2}{4a}## and ##x^2+y^2+z^2=9a^2##, and ##\vec F## is the field ##\vec F = F_0\left( \frac{a}{\rho}+\frac{\rho^2}{a^2} \right)\hat \phi##. (##a## and ##F_0## are constants.)

(I'm guessing this fits better here than in the calculus forum since since the question is as preparation for EM-class)
    2. Relevant equations
    Line current with strength ##J##
    ##\vec F = \frac{J}{2\pi \rho} \hat \phi##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We see the first part of the force is a line current with strength ##2\pi F_0a## so it's total contribution to the integral over a closed loop is ##2\pi F_0a##.

I'm left with ##\vec F_2 = F_0\frac{\rho^2}{a^2}\hat \phi##. We note from ##z=\frac{x^2+y^2}{4a}## that if ##a >0## ##z## has to be strictly positive and if ##a < 0## ##z## is strictly negative.
    Substituting into the second equation we have
    ##(z+2a)^2-4a^2 = 9a^2 \Longrightarrow z=(\pm \sqrt{13} -2)a##. We conclude that ##z## is constant and since ##\rho^2 = x^2+y^2##, ##\rho## is also constant.
    Calculating the curl we get ##\nabla \times \vec F_2 = \frac{3F_0}{a^2}\rho \hat z##.
    Using stokes theorem and since we know ##\rho## is constant and using ##\hat z## as the normal vector
    ##\int_C \vec F_2 \cdot d\vec r = \frac{3F_0}{a^2}\rho \int_S dS = \frac{3\pi F_0}{a^2}\rho^3 ##
    Let's assume that ##a>0## we then have that ##\rho = 2a\sqrt{\sqrt{13}-2}##. Using this we have
    ##\int_C \vec F_2\cdot \vec r = 24\pi F_0a\left( \sqrt{13}-2 \right)^{3/2}##.
    So the total value of integral should be
    ##2\pi F_0a\left(12(\sqrt{13}-2)^{3/2}+1\right)##.

Another approach would be to use the line element ##d\vec r = d\rho \hat \rho + \rho d\phi \hat \phi + dz \hat z##
    ##\int_C \vec F_2 \cdot d\vec r = \int_C \frac{F_0\rho^3}{a^2}d\phi## And everything inside should be a constant. Since both ##z## and ##\rho## are constant we should be on a circle thats parallel to the ##xy##-plane and we should integrate from ##\phi =0 \to \phi = 2\pi##. So the integral becomes
    ##\int_C \vec F_2 \cdot d\vec r = \frac{2\pi F_0 \rho^3}{a^2} = 8\pi aF_0(\sqrt{13}-2)^{3/2}##. Giving us the value
    ##2\pi F_0a\left(8(\sqrt{13}-2)^{3/2}+1\right)##.

According to the answer the second approach gave me the right answer and the first one is wrong but I can't see where I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Have you drawn a picture of what the contour looks like?
    This is the intersection of a cone and a sphere.
    Since your integral uses spherical coordinates, convert the contour to spherical coordinates as well. That should help.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Sorry I should've clarified better. The field is given in cylindrical coordinates (the book uses ##\rho## for cylindrical.)
    Should be a paraboloid not a cone since we have ##z=\frac{x^2+y^2}{4a}## not ##z^2=\frac{x^2+y^2}{4a}## so the intersection should be a circle. I did make a drawing but I'm not too great at those. Do you think the second solution is correct or did I just happen upon the correct answer there? Be cause I feel I did most of the work similar for both approaches.

5. Nov 15, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Yes, you are z is growing with the square of the radius of the circle, not linearly with the radius like in a cone.
    Your contour is a circle parallel to the xy plane. So the second method leaves fewer opportunities to make a mistake.

6. Nov 20, 2015 #5
    I realised what my error was here. When I calculated the surface integral i got from stokes theorem I had
    ##3F_0a^2\int_S \rho d\vec S##. S is a ##z##-surface so the surface element is given by ##d\vec S = \hat z \rho d\rho r\phi##. Using this we have (let ##\rho_0## be the radius of the circle as to not confuse them)
    ##3F_0a^2 \int_0^{\rho_0}\int_0^2\pi \rho^2 d\phi d\rho = 2\pi F_0\rho_0^3## yielding the correct answer in the first case as well. So the mistake I made was that I didn't accountfor that I have scale factors in curvilinear coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted