1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate acceleration of the 4 kilogram block

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three blocks of masses 1.0, 2.0, and 4.0 kilograms are connected by mass less strings, one of which passes over a frictionless pulley of negligible mass, as shown above. Calculate each of the following.
    a. The acceleration of the 4 kilogram block
    b. The tension in the string supporting the 4 kilogram block
    c. The tension in the string connected to the l kilogram block

(Sorry but I cant seem to get the pic on here- basically on one side of the pulley is a 4kg mass, and on the other side is a 2kg mass that is connected by a string to a 1kg mass)

I don't really know where or how to start. I know I'll need to use Newton's Second Law. But I'm have difficult applying it to these problems.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Pulleys

Three masses are connected by two stings.
    All the masses move with the same acceleration.
    Let tension in the string connecting 4 kg and 3 kg be T1, and tension in the string connecting 2 kg and 1 kg be T2.
    For 4 kg, 4*g - T1 = 4*a.
    Similarly write the other two equations for 2 kg and 1 kg. Then solve the equations to find T1, T2 and a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook