Calculate angles from axis with a 3d vector

In summary, the vector magnitude is 3.7183867 and the vector has an angle of 2.302 degrees in the xy plane, 3.196 degrees in the yz plane, and 3.484 degrees in the xz plane.
xX1SHOt

Homework Statement

A vector is given by R(vector) = 1.90 ihat + 1.30 jhat + 2.92 khat.

Find the magnitude of the vector

Find the angle between the vector and the x, y, and z axis

Homework Equations

I have read something about dot product but I am not sure if it applies here

The Attempt at a Solution

R(magnitude)=3.7183867

R(magnitude in xy plane)=2.302

R(magnitude in yz plane)=3.196

R(magnitude in xz plane)=3.484

I don't know if I should have solved for these or if i should try to solve for the angles in each plane specifically. I was just getting numbers to see where it got me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that for dot products
[tex]
\vec{u}\cdot\vec{v} = |u||v|\cos{\theta}[/tex]

Where theta is the angle between the vectors. So choose u = your vector R, and v = ihat, and you get the angle between R and the x-axis.

arent v(vector) and v(magnitude the same which follows for u. which means that it would just be cos( 0 ) b/c that is one

xX1SHOt said:
arent v(vector) and v(magnitude the same which follows for u. which means that it would just be cos( 0 ) b/c that is one
Are you asking if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and [itex]|v|[/itex] (to use nicksauce's notation) are the same? They're not... [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a vector, while [itex]|v|[/itex] is a scalar. Completely different things. It's like the difference between an arrow and the length of the arrow.

Do you know how to take the dot product of two vectors?

no that's what I am basically asking, we were not taught this but need to know it i guess to do this problem. Also it is not anywhere in the chapter's we are studying

I have to figure this out by tomorrow and i can't really figure out how to do it from looking up up anywhere. Can someone please resolve this one before it is due tomorrow?

1. How do you calculate angles from an axis with a 3D vector?

To calculate angles from an axis with a 3D vector, you can use the dot product or cross product of the vector with the desired axis. The resulting angle can then be calculated using trigonometric functions such as cosine or sine.

2. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product of two vectors results in a vector quantity. The dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, while the cross product is used to determine the perpendicular vector to both input vectors.

3. Can you calculate angles from any 3D vector?

Yes, angles can be calculated from any 3D vector as long as there is a reference axis or vector to compare it to. The resulting angle may be different depending on the choice of reference axis.

4. How many angles can be calculated from a 3D vector?

Only one angle can be calculated from a 3D vector when using the dot product or cross product method. This angle represents the orientation of the vector with respect to the chosen axis.

5. Are there any limitations when calculating angles from a 3D vector?

One limitation is that the dot product and cross product methods can only calculate angles in a three-dimensional space. Additionally, if the two vectors being compared are parallel or perpendicular, the resulting angle may be undefined or 0 degrees, respectively.