Rotating a given vector about an axis

In summary, the problem is that the length of the vectors remain invariant (property of pure rotation), but the x-components of the vectors change.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Vector ##\vec A = 3.5 \hat x+2 \hat y-2.5 \hat z##. Find out the vector ##\vec B## that is obtained by rotating ##\vec A## about the ##x##-axis (in the positive sense according to the right-hand cork screw rule) by an angle of ##60^{\circ}##.
Relevant Equations
Dot product of two vectors : ##\vec A \cdot \vec B = AB \cos \theta##
Rotation.png

The sketch above shows the situation of the problem. Clearly, as the rotation is taking place in the ##y-z## plane, the x-components of the two vectors remain unchanged : ##A_x = B_x##.

Let the projection of the vector ##\vec B## on to the y-z plane be vector ##(\vec B)_{yz} = B_y \hat y + B_z \hat z##. It is these two vectors ##B_y \;\text{and}\; B_z## that I need to find.

The dot product ##(\vec A)_{yz} \cdot (\vec B)_{yz} = A_{yz} B_{yz} \cos \theta = \sqrt{2^2+2.5^2} \sqrt{B_y^2+B_z^2} \cos 60^{\circ} = 1.6 \sqrt{B_y^2+B_z^2} ## .

But again, ##(\vec A)_{yz} \cdot (\vec B)_{yz} = A_y B_y + A_z B_z = 2 B_y - 2.5 B_z \Rightarrow 2 B_y - 2.5 B_z = 1.6 \sqrt{B_y^2+B_z^2}## which simplifies to (after squaring and some algebra) : ##\mathbf{1.44 B_y^2 - 10 B_y B_z + 3.69 B_z^2 = 0}##

Also, as the length of the vectors remain invariant (property of pure rotation), we can write ##A_y^2+A_z^2 = B_y^2 + B_z^2 \Rightarrow B_y^2 + B_z^2 = 2^2 + 2.5^2 \Rightarrow \mathbf{B_y^2 + B_z^2 = 10.25}##.

I could not solve (algebraically) the two equations above in bold for ##B_y\; \text{and} \;B_z##. Any help would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic seems fine. Let me eliminate the dead wood:
$$ \Rightarrow \mathbf{B_y^2 + B_z^2 = 10.25} $$
$$\Rightarrow2 B_y - 2.5 B_z = 1.6 \sqrt{B_y^2+B_z^2} $$
You really can't solve this?i

An alternative way is to skip the algebra and use simple trig. The initial vector can be written as the sum of three vectors along the principal axes:$$\vec A=A_x~\hat x+A_y~\hat y+A_z~\hat z=\vec {A_x}+\vec {A_y}+\vec {A_z}.$$As you correctly pointed out ##\vec{A_x}## is unchanged upon rotation, but the other two rotate in the ##zy## plane by ##60^o## away from their respective principal axes. Make a drawing if you need to and then find the new ##y## and ##z## components of each. Add everything to get ##\vec B##.

Likes TSny
hutchphd said:
Your logic seems fine. Let me eliminate the dead wood:
$$ \Rightarrow \mathbf{B_y^2 + B_z^2 = 10.25} $$
$$\Rightarrow2 B_y - 2.5 B_z = 1.6 \sqrt{B_y^2+B_z^2} $$
You really can't solve this?i

Thank you very much. I didn't realize that it would have been wiser to keep the quadratic expression under the square root as it is and use it for the other equation where it reappears. Am trying not to be embarrassed.

Better to ask a question. And graciously return the favor when possible.

1. What does it mean to rotate a vector about an axis?

Rotating a vector about an axis means changing the direction of the vector by a certain angle while keeping its magnitude or length the same. This is done by rotating the vector around a fixed point, which can be any point on the axis.

2. How is the rotation of a vector described?

The rotation of a vector is described using a right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of rotation and the thumb points in the direction of the axis.

3. What is the formula for rotating a vector about an axis?

The formula for rotating a vector about an axis is:
v' = cos(θ) * v + (1 - cos(θ)) * (v ⋅ a) * a + sin(θ) * (a x v)
Where v' is the rotated vector, θ is the angle of rotation, v is the original vector, and a is the unit vector representing the axis of rotation.

4. How does the direction of the axis affect the rotation of a vector?

The direction of the axis affects the rotation of a vector by determining the plane of rotation. If the axis is perpendicular to the vector, the vector will rotate in a circular motion around the axis. If the axis is parallel to the vector, the vector will not rotate at all.

5. Can any vector be rotated about any axis?

Yes, any vector can be rotated about any axis as long as the axis passes through the point representing the origin of the vector. If the axis does not pass through the origin, the vector will not rotate correctly.